Another day in Ouray, taking the trails to Engineer Pass


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Ouray
June 29th 2008
Published: July 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This morning, after fueling our bodies with breakfast at Silver Nugget, we head for the four-wheel drive trails to Engineer Pass. With many of them still closed due to snow damage, choices are limited. So, we pick an old standby, Mineral Pass Trail.

This road is always bumpy with boulders and today is no exception. In addition avalanche debris litters the area. But, soon, the view changes from devastation to mountain meadows carpeted in yellow blooms. Summer has come earlier to this side of the San Juan’s.

After a muddy, rocky climb, we pass snowmelt trickling through alpine tundra. In a week or two, a rainbow of flowers will cover the ground.

At Engineer Pass, snowy vistas make it hard to decide where to look first. In every direction, dramatic scenes tempt our eyes. Alan is tired from the concentrated driving that the trail requires so I take the photos.

Once we get our fill of mountain views, it’s back down the trail to the ghost town of Animas Forks for a lunch stop. We’re tired from yesterday and I’m experiencing symptoms of altitude sickness. Taking the route to Silverton, we’re soon on the highway to Ouray where I begin to feel better.

After a little rest and relaxation at Ouray Hotel, our group walks to Maggie’s for dinner. Hamburgers and greasy fries always make me feel better.

To read more about baby boomer travel, visit, My Itchy Travel Feet .



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.437s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 22; qc: 148; dbt: 0.1621s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb