Discovering an Alpine wonderland at Yankee Boy Basin


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Ouray
June 28th 2008
Published: July 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today’s adventure includes exploring the trails in Yankee Boy Basin and Imogene Pass, high above Ouray, Colorado. Our 4-wheel drive friends, Dave and Cindy, plus their daughter Makenna, have joined us in Ouray for two days of driving the old mining trails that meander through the San Juan Mountains.

On the Yankee Boy Basin Trail , the jeeps lurch over rocky ground, slowing down to inch along a narrow ledge that hugs the mountain on one side, with a steep drop-off on the other. Far below, old shacks sit beside piles of tailings from a defunct mine.

Even though it’s late in June, the area is still recovering from a record snowfall, which means the trails are extra rough with debris from avalanches. The reward for bouncing around in the jeep…views of snowmelt waterfalls thundering down the mountain slopes. It reminds me of the Norwegian fjords that Alan and I visited last summer.

A large snow bank bordered by a snowmelt creek stops our progress towards the end of the trail. So, we continue our exploration on foot. Snow covers the slopes around us where the zigzag tracks of backcountry skiers are still visible. Wildflowers are beginning to decorate the meadows in yellow and white. Yankee Boy Basin is well known for its wildflower display. We’ve missed the grand show by about two weeks.

“Let’s see how far we can get on Imogene,” Dave says.

The small caravan turns around to retrace our steps to the turn off for Imogene Pass. When it’s cleared of snow, the trail takes drivers over the mountains to Telluride. But, reports indicate that there’s still
plowing to be done at the top.

The trail fords several swiftly running streams before coming to twin waterfalls hurtling down the mountainside. We stop to take photos, then continue our drive between the white walls of plowed snow. Soon, we’re creeping along another ledge where a waterfall spills over us, giving the jeeps a one-sided car wash.

Above the tree line, our group stops in the mountain basin for more photographs. The last uncleared portions of the trail are visible from here. We turn the jeeps around, then find a side road that leads to a shady picnic spot.

Returning to Ouray, we treat ourselves to a prime rib dinner at The Outlaw Restaurant. After all, we need our strength for tomorrow’s run over Engineer’s Pass.

To read more about baby boomer travel, visit My Itchy Travel Feet .




Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



22nd July 2008

Thanks
This brought back many wonderful memories for me. In 1969 I did this drive with my parents in our VW bus! I can still remember the overhangs that forced us to the edge of the narrow road with harrowing drops right next to us. I also remember the remains of mining settlements and marvel that they are still there 40 years later. Thanks for sharing - I would love to know how you did on Engineer Pass- we did that several different summers. Thanks!
23rd July 2008

Keep checking the blog, Laura. I'll be writing about Engineer's Pass soon.
6th August 2009

Skunk Cabbage
Actually, the picture shown here for skunk cabbage is actually FALSE HELLEBORE, a poisonous plant who's flower resembles western skunk cabbage, and who's leaves vaguely resemble all foetidus (skunk cabbage). Foetidus does not have corrugated leaves, and are much rounder in all varieties not elongated and narrow. Skunk cabbage is edible and usefull as medicine, where as False Hellebore is just poison. Do no be confused on this as both do stink.
6th August 2009

Thanks, Brian, for informing me about skunk cabbage vs False Hellebore. Why are most poisonous plants so beautiful? At least I think this is beautiful. I guess the moral is be careful which skunk cabbage leaves you pick in Yankee Boy Basin. Readers, please don't poison yourselves.

Tot: 0.461s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 22; qc: 154; dbt: 0.2129s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb