Mesa Verde


Advertisement
Published: May 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We stayed the night on the Ute Reservation, where we met some fellow campers (actually, we both just happened to be dumping our...um...waste water....at the same time). They told us about Mesa Verda, which we were only about 25 miles from and hadn't really been planning on visiting. But we're so glad we did!

It was awesome...it was the home of quite a few "ancestral puebloan" ruins. To put it more interestingly, there were all of these awesome multilevel and multiroom homes built into the side of the cliffs, under natural arches. We even got to walk around in one. The strange thing about them was that the people seem to have just up and left, without leaving any clues to where they were going and why. and this was all in 1200-1300 ad. Check out the pictures...and notice that from the top of the mesa, we were taking pictures across a valley. The dwellings look like little dollhouses or models, but they're the real thing...and huge families would all fit into each one. If some of the pictures just look like landscape, look closer...you will probably find the dwellings in the side of the cliff...i just wanted to try and even out the scale so you know how large the mesas and cliffs really are. Enjoy!




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



11th May 2007

Awesome!
Dude-this is sooooooooo cool! I actually learned about this in my History class!! How exciting!!! Have lots of fun guys and drive safe! We love u and miss u a lot!!!
13th May 2007

WOW!
Hi Guys! We loved the pics....Rummy looks very cool on the dashboard, haha :) It looks like you are seeing amazing places. I taught my kids about the pueblos near Mesa Verde, so it was very neat to see them in your pictures. Enjoy your time and see you in about 10 years in Boston :) LOVE YOU :)

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb