The Ski Diaries 2006-Breckenridge/Keystone


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Keystone
February 16th 2006
Published: February 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

StarbucksStarbucksStarbucks

The conversion of the old buldings to new retail is to say the least interesting. Lori, does this look like a Starbucks to YOU!!
Leaving Aspen, heading towards Breckenridge we were amazed by the number of ski resorts along I-70. If you live in Denver within an hour and a half maximum, you can ski Aspen, Aspen Highlands, Snowmass, Buttermilk, Beavercreek, Vail, Copper Mountain, Ski Cooper, Loveland Pass, Breckenridge, Keystone, Arapahoe; to name a few.

Breck like so many of these resorts has a massive ski-able area and can hold a huge skier capacity - 100,000 people. That’s like the total populations of the cities Leduc and Red Deer skiing the same mountain on the same day and there would still be room for a few more. Jasper’s capacity relative is about 4,400. It’s the first time that we have seen chairlifts that cross over each other like a freeway; it was a little freaky. The longest ski run here is 3.5 miles long which they can achieve because of the altitudes and area mass. The summit elevation is 12,998 ft. To put that in perspective, Mount Robson, B.C.’s highest peak has an elevation of 12,972 ft.

The town of Breckenridge is quaint and well preserved. They have kept the old buildings from the 1880’s that house shops, bars and restaurants and still
Downtown BreckenridgeDowntown BreckenridgeDowntown Breckenridge

Great town with loads of character. Originally an old mining town with the savior now being the tourist industry. Great restaurants and bars in old hotels and stores with loads of memorabilia to look at.
managed to add a ton of new shops, etc. but done so without taking away from the old. There are obviously very strict architectural guidelines for the suburbs to maintain integrity as well. It is definitely a party town with the average age being younger probably because it is less expensive than resorts such as Aspen.

We faced our first really cold weather here on our first day; -27F with a nasty windchill. Too cold to ski and almost too cold to shop; almost. Fortunately, the weather cleared the next day and it was a great ski day.

Keystone which is about 15 miles away has a much less developed town site. However, it has great day lodges and restaurants on the ski hill. We preferred this mountain to Breck because it was less crowded, had lots of trees on long sweeping runs and the mountain is well laid out so you actually know where you are. Admittedly, we have been lost a few times on mountains here. You are skiing a number of peaks and both sides of these peaks over very large areas and it gets confusing at times.

A wonderful highlight at Keystone was
5 Star Dining5 Star Dining5 Star Dining

We had been told about the charming change facilities so just bring along your dress clothes to change from your ski wear. Well we did but the men's change room had a bit to be desired.
Keystone Ranch. It was a recommended to us by a waitress at dinner one night. We were told that we could go directly to The Ranch after skiing for dinner and they would have an area for us to freshen up before we dined. It’s the first time I’ve ever taken a backpack to dinner.

The Women’s change room was great, had a shower, a private change room which was beautifully decorated with all the items you could possible ask for to get spruced up for dinner. Boyd’s experience was not so good. The Men’s change room doubled as a storage area for tables and chairs not in use (see picture) and he opened the door to find the Head Chef buck naked, getting ready for work. This brought a whole new meaning to Intimate Dining.

The Ranch is a huge old log lodge on a golf course in the beautiful setting overlooking the mountains. We experienced a memorable six course dinner that was delicious, well served and paired with awesome wines. After dinner we were invited into The Great Room with a roaring fire for dessert and coffee. It was just lovely. We met our new friends
Dining at its finestDining at its finestDining at its finest

This was the lounge area just off of the dining room. "The Keystone Ranch" is the best dinner either of us has ever experienced. Six course dinners with dessert served in the sitting room. Great stuff.
from Minnesota and enjoyed their well behaved children who were obviously in training as future chefs.

We leave now for the last leg of our trip - 5 nights in Vail.




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Kids having FunKids having Fun
Kids having Fun

Great time for Kids in all the resorts. Can you find Joyce, neither could I but I was sure she was in there somewhere.
BreckenridgeBreckenridge
Breckenridge

This shot is taken from the top of Keystone mountain and looking at Breckenridge. It gives an idea as to how close these areas are and how large.
Cat SkiingCat Skiing
Cat Skiing

At three seperate peaks at Keystone you can take a cat to the upper peaks to get to virgin powder. Or you can just ski the run because they have so much snow here.
Top Of BreckenridgeTop Of Breckenridge
Top Of Breckenridge

It is a long way down from 13,000 feet. Amazing views from this altitude.
Steep and DeepSteep and Deep
Steep and Deep

Great black and double black runs many of which were just plain steep but didn't have the bumps that these knees don't like much anymore.


Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.081s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb