Unscheduled Stop in Dillon


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Dillon
August 8th 2010
Published: August 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Oliver woke up cranky from his nap on our drive up to Glenwood Springs. Not wanting to push him past his limit, Andrew and I pulled into the mountain town of Dillon, Colorado. Dillon is known for its beautiful lake (which is really a reservoir) and mountain views. At over 9,000 feet in altitude, the town stays fairly cool (it was in the high 60s when we arrived), and it was a nice change from the heat of Denver.

We pulled up into the free parking area by the water and made the easy hike down to the shore. There were a couple people fishing off the dock, but, other than that, we were alone. After touching the water first myself (cold, but not frigid), I let Oliver put his toes into it. The three of us then walked along the water's edge and came to an ampitheater. There was a church service going on there (what a beautiful location for it!), and we could hear the choir. We hiked up closer and discovered a statue of an old mayor (if I remember that correctly). His name was Bailey, and, according to the plaque, he saved the town of Dillon.
Exploring NatureExploring NatureExploring Nature

Oliver leans over the bench to get a good view of the plants growing in Dillon.
Apparently, there were plans to dam up the river and create a reservoir, which would displace the town. The town was to be destroyed. Bailey, apparently, was able to get the town relocated to its present location today.






Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Baby and the MountainsBaby and the Mountains
Baby and the Mountains

This is my favorite photo from our stop in Dillon, Colorado. Breathtaking!
Crystal ClearCrystal Clear
Crystal Clear

The reservoir water was very clear.


12th August 2010

wow
that looks beautiful, you guys have to realize just how lucky you are to be living in that state...
16th August 2010

It *is* Beautiful!
It's very nice having so many breathtaking places so close to home. Dillon is about an hour from us, Garden of the Gods maybe two hours... Red Rocks about 5 minutes. Gorgeous places and so many things to see and do. Still, it's a trade off for sure. The museums and other cultural centers aren't up to par, the food is terrible, and most of the shopping available to us is only at national chains/franchises/corporations.

Tot: 0.194s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 17; qc: 77; dbt: 0.1449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb