Day 6: Denver


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Denver
January 2nd 2012
Published: January 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

New Year's Day and Bronco's Day!!!!!!

Unfortuantely, before I went to the game, I had to do a load of washing. LAME!!! I figured I may as well have put the morning to good use though.

We left around 1.30pm for the game. We took the light rail into the stadium, which took about 25 mins. The walk to the stadium was....different. Let's just say it's not like going to the MCG. Firstly, EVERYONE is a Bronco's fan. And they all love o be loud and cheer. God forbid they spotted a Chiefs' fan. Secondly, there are little stalls the whole way from the rail to the stadium (about 1.5km). Guys selling knock off Bronco's gear, home made t-shirts, and then a whole bunch of stands selling burritos, pistachios, water and drinks.

Anyway, after we got to the stadium, we had to go through security. it is a lot more strict here than at home. We went into a no backpack line and got through quickly, but the backpack line was huge. As we entered we were patted down for weapons, etc, then allowed in.

Our seats were great, even if they were a little far back. We were on the Denver sideline sitting on the 40 yard line. The crowd was totally different to what I expected too. They became really loud whenever the Chiefs' were on offense, to try and put them off. The Bronco's even installed steel floor panelling in the seating so the crowd can stomp their feet to add extra noise. When the Bronco's had the ball, it would be pretty quiet unless they were doing something good, the the whole crowd stands up and yells. It is actually a bit off-putting to be honest. It's as if it is a social event and the football happens to be on in the background, then when something good happens everyone becomes interested. While it was fantastic to see, and I'd definitely see another game if the opportunity arose, give me AFL anyday.

Another interesting thing to see was the beer/peanut/water/chip vendors. They would walk up the aisle every now and then, people would just stick their hands up and pass along money to the end of the aisle, then the vendor would throw them whatever they ordered (unless it was beer). I guess a similar thing happens at home, but it is way more frequent here.

Tonight I am just chilling out again, still trying to catch up on jetlag. Tomorrow I head out to Seattle. I can't wait!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb