Day - 13 Junction City to Denver


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Denver
September 21st 2010
Published: September 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sunday and we, now four, wanted to get an early start across the flat lands of Kansas. My bike, Big Red, that had been running so well failed to proceed!! Despite numerous efforts it appeared that there just wasn't enough battery power to fire her up.

So GB borrowed some jumper leads from the servo and she started if a bit reluctantly. Wouldn't idle but that;s OK as we wouldn't be doing much idling!!. Decided to get going and if we needed a battery we would get one in Denver.

We rode state route 18 to avoid the interstate. A great bit of road. We stopped at Lincoln for breakfast and a refuel. A small country town with character. It seems there is quite a bit of oil under the ground in these parts as you could lots of small oil pumps dotted through the fields. By the side of the road at the entrance to properties there were oil tanks. I understand that the local farmers sell this oil and tankers come by regularly to pick up from these roadside oil tanks!! Then it was on to Hoxie for a refuel and coffee.

From here we got on to Route 24 that led to Interstate 70 heading for Denver. About 10 miles in I got hit with some bug or road debris in my left eye. Just couldn't get it to stop running and blurring up!! Rode quite a bit of the way using one eye!!

Next fuel stop was Seibert where I found that the front gear change pedal had buggered the splines and was flopping about on the shaft!! More mechanical work required. By using spray on cooking oil we borrowed from the kitchen we were able to loosen the gear shafts. We took off the ruined front shifter, turned the rear one around to act as both and hey presto I was back in business!!

I also took this opportunity to get some Visine to flush my eye and it worked like a treat.

We were soon back on the last leg to Denver. Despite the late get away and mechanical work during the day we arrived in good time.

Ross was already for us and we soon caught up with Eric, from Boulder on his recently purchased yellow Goldwing with matching sidecar. A very nice rig with all mod cons!!! Dries and Marion from Amsterdam also arrived in their huge 6 berth RV with appropriate Eglide AGM stickers. They had cold beers which hit the spot. We decided to head off to get a battery as Big Red had completely died on reaching Denver. I road on the back of Andy's Electraglide. First for me and could appreciate the comfort and security of the passenger seat. Mind you I had difficulty in getting on and off!! We tried an Auto shop as no HD dealers were open, but no luck. Also tried Walmart without success. Now Walmart is a really big store!! Biggest store I've been in.

So without battery we headed back to the motel with the idea of going to the HD dealer first thing on Monday morning. But first Eric with his electrical doover was able to check that the battery was in fact in good working condition. Checked fuses, all OK . Then checked battery terminals. Found them to be loose!! Tightened them up and Big Red fired up - perfect!

By this time we had been joined by Matt who was on a fly/ride rental. It was good to catch up with Matt as he was one of the US entourage to visit Aus back in 2008.

Showers, then dinner and more beers at the local diner. Then to bed - slept like log!!

477 miles covered today. (768kms)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.033s; cc: 11; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0894s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb