Day - 12 Heading West


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kansas » Junction City
September 17th 2010
Published: September 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Saturday was the day GB & I head off west. It had rained over night and was still cloudy and cool. So we donned our wet weather trousers, farewelled our great hosts, Charlie and Vicky and headed out of Decatur and on through Springfield on Route 36.

We refueled and had breaky at Hanibal and as we progressed west the clouds dissipated and the day warmed up.

At Cameron we took a left turn onto Interstate 35 which took us into Kansas City.

We had hoped to arrive around 2.00pm to meet Andy who was to join the journey west. However, we hit a major traffic jam going over the mighty Missouri River. They are building another bridge and traffic was down to one lane from three!!Took 30 mins to travel a couple of miles. We were told later by a local that "the mighty 'Mo' is too thick to drink but to thin to plough!!"

Arrived at the designated meeting place, the Steamboat Arabia Museum, and Andy was waiting for us. The visit to the museum was well worth while - thanks Joe for the recommendation.

The river course changed over time and in 1988
On the Road to Kansas CityOn the Road to Kansas CityOn the Road to Kansas City

Cloudy and damp roads
a group of locals with the help of metal detectors found the ruin buried 45feet below ground in the middle of a corn field about ½ a mile from the current course of the river.

The steamboat sank fully loaded with tons of goods and equipment in the river in 1856 and was soon buried in the drifting sediment and sands. There were no casualties from the sinking apart from one donkey.

These men, their families and friends have painstakingly collected what is in the Museum over the past 20 years. An amazing collect of the goods and effects of the early settlers.

We, now 3, left Kansas City and headed to Junction City on Interstate 70 for our over night stop. The last few miles was difficult as the sun was dropping. As we arrived at the hotel Larry from down St Louis way had arrived before us and had a cold beer ready and waiting!!

Total trip was 483 miles/777kms.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 18; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb