Day 2 & 3 - Kansas and Colorado


Advertisement
Published: August 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 2 & 3


NascarNascarNascar

Bud car in the mini-museum.
After leaving Aaron’s sister’s home in Ohio on Wednesday afternoon, we traveled in the direction of St. Louis as long as we could stand to be on the road. As night closed in our eyelids began to become heavier so we stopped in the middle of Illinois for the night.

The next day consisted of 800 miles of driving. We started by completing the route to St. Louis where we made a stop to take a few quick pictures of the Gateway Arch and more importantly take a tour of the Budweiser brewery! During the tour we got to see all sorts of memorabilia in a miniature Budweiser museum, the world famous Clydesdales, the brewing and bottling operations, and had a few samples of the freshest beer possible. Aaron even got a certificate for participating in a taste test. Unfortunately, his preferences were contrary to Anhauser Busch’s!

After leaving St. Louis we made our way to Kansas City where we stopped for a nice BBQ dinner at Arthur Bryant’s. As you can see from the picture, they specialize in large serving sizes. Although the food was plentiful, the quality paled in comparison to Aaron’s own barbeque! We felt that
Aaron and AdolphusAaron and AdolphusAaron and Adolphus

Aaron poses next to a life-size statue of Adolphus Busch.
the baked beans were the best part of the meal - and we thought KC was supposed to be the capital of ribs!

We got back on the long, flat, road through Kansas. As the many corn, soy, and sunflower fields passed us by, we were treated to a lovely sunset in the wide open sky. Soon we decided it was time for a rest so we pulled in to a hotel for the night just shy of Colorado.

In the morning we awakened eager to make our way to Colorado Springs. After two hours of driving, we were there. We stopped at the Garden of the Gods and took a four mile hike around and through the park. The rock formations were spectacular and the weather cooperated just long enough for us to take a few good pictures.

Next we jumped back on the road and headed southwest on 50. So far this has been our favorite road. The winding drive through the Rockies and national forests was breathtaking. We ran into a bit of rain on the way and therefore ended up in another hotel rather than camping for the night.

Tomorrow morning we
BBQBBQBBQ

TOO MUCH FOOD!!!
will get up bright and early to visit the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park before heading southwest again where we will finish the day in Mesa Verde.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

KansasKansas
Kansas

Not a hill in sight. Must be Kansas!
Garden of the GodsGarden of the Gods
Garden of the Gods

Aaron and Johanna peek through the "Siamese Twins" rock formation.
Garden of the GodsGarden of the Gods
Garden of the Gods

We found a living dinosaur.
Garden of the GodsGarden of the Gods
Garden of the Gods

"Three Fingers"
Garden of the GodsGarden of the Gods
Garden of the Gods

"Balancing Rock"


5th August 2006

Great Pics
Glad your have a great time. Dad

Tot: 0.277s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 58; dbt: 0.2378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb