Castle Creek Valley, Aspen, CO


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Aspen
July 25th 2012
Published: July 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Description- The Castle Creek Valley lies to the south of Aspen between Aspen Mountain and Aspen Highlands ski areas. At the head of the valley lies the fourteen thousand foot tall Castle Peak. The ghost town of Ashcroft and the Ashcroft Cross-Country Ski Area are located below the peak. Cathedral and American lakes are located nearby. The lower end of the valley is dominated by views of Hayden Peak. Conundrum Creek is located to the west of Hayden.

Attractions- The Castle Creek Area includes Conundrum Creek and Hot Springs, Ashcroft, Montezuma Basin, Taylor Pass, Express Creek, Castle Peak, American Lake, Cathedral Lake, Electric Pass, Little Annie Basin, Richmond Ridge and much more.

Recreation- Some of the numerous recreation opportunities available in the Castle Creek Area include hiking, backpacking, horseback riding, backcountry camping, fishing, four-wheel driving, scenic driving, sightseeing, mountain climbing, and viewing historic Ashcroft. Winter brings possibilities for cross-country skiing, snowshoeing and snowmobiling.

Climate- In the valley bottoms, summer high temperatures extend into the mid 80s, with cool evenings that can often dip into the 30s. Winter lows occasionally dip to minus 30 degrees, though daytime temperatures are often in the 20s to 30s. The relative humidity is quite low throughout the year. Most of the area and its recreation facilities lie at higher elevations where significantly lower temperatures and more precipitation can be expected. Afternoon summer thunderstorms are common. Snow is possible at any time of year in the highest elevations. The high elevation roads and trails are often not clear of snow until mid-July.

Location - This area is located south of Aspen. It includes the Castle Creek Valley and its tributaries, such as Conundrum Creek and Express Creek as well as the Richmond Ridge area.

Directions from Aspen: Castle Creek Road - Drive 1/2 mile west of the Aspen Ranger District on Highway 82 to the round-a-bout and take the Castle Creek exit. Pass Aspen Valley Hospital and continue on Castle Creek Road. Castle Creek Road provides access to Midnight Mine, Little Annie Basin, Express Creek/Taylor Pass, Pearl Pass and Montezuma Basin Roads.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb