Sightseeing in the city of the dead


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
July 15th 2011
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 37.6769, -122.459

After sleeping in until 7:30 a.m. we grabbed some breakfast that was served on our floor just a few rooms down from our room. After checking the weather, (extremely foggy and cold), we then headed for Colma's city hall. After speaking with one of the clerks, Laura Allen, the city manager came out and greeted us. After I introduced myself and Naomi, I let the two of them chit chat and discuss the finer points of Colma. Naomi's book is set in Colma, which is a necropolis (a town set aside specifically to bury people) for San Francisco. Ms. Allen showed old photographs that lined her wall in her office, the chamber room, and then took us across the street to the police station. Once there, she took us behind a locked door to see the old stuffed mascot bear that used to sit in the main entrance of city hall. She then mentioned the museum of Colma, so after thanking Ms. Allen, off we went to look for the museum. Once there, we were given a guided tour by one of the historical societies board members. After purchasing almost everything they had about Colma or had Colma written on it (Naomi and I got matching T-shirts), we headed off for lunch. After lunch at Wendy's, we toured about 4-5 cemeteries. Naomi had a great time. For me, I enjoyed the history of this unique place and was just fine being the driver while she had fun. After 6 hours of touring Colma, we headed for Muir Woods.



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0234s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb