Forever2 : Getting ready to head Into the abyss!!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
February 3rd 2017
Published: February 3rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Hello all, we are now in our final preparation days before we take off. Hopefully we will be heading into Mexico on 4 February, after a brief stay heading out on our journey on the sixth.

After having a nice stay with Linda's family in Huntsville and a quick visit with our friend Gerrie Peterborough, we crossed into the States from Sarnia Ontario into Michigan. We entered in around 6 o'clock am, and definitely interrupted the border guards at the end of their shift as they had their normal snarly attitudes to welcome us. After an hour-long conversation with the less than pleasant border guards explaining to them what we were doing , we were finally on our way. Our route took us through Michigan, Indiana, Missouri, Oklahoma , Texas , New Mexico , Arizona , and into California to Rancho Cucamonga. We Logged around 4000 km in four days.

Some of the highlights of our drive was seeing the gateway to the west, the arch in St. Louis , Cadillac ranch just outside of Amarillo Texas , Beautiful sunset in New Mexico, The wide-open country the all the way, The snow in Flagstaff Arizona ( more them in MTL) tumbleweeds blowing across the roads, enormous wind farms, basically travelling The historic route 66 , wrestling with dinosaurs and last but not lease meeting Elvis and Marilyn Monroe !!

Not a highlights but merely some observations!!! America has way too many fast food joints! The landscape is littered with them, it is not hard to see how America's health is suffering from the over abundance of The drive-through addictions .

Also it is not hard to see how America was built, just travel the road system! between the construction of roads, the infrastructure around them and the trucks that travel them it's not hard to see how in the 50s America's economy grew so substantially. Maybe we don't realize it so much living in our suburban lives but the trucking Industry absolutely astronomically huge!!!

After having a great time with our friends in Rancho Cucamonga Rachel, Rafael, Lucas and Ben we are now in San Diego with our friends Marcus, Susie and Joseph. It has been so good to catch up with both sets of friends as we have not seen them in such a long time they are all doing fantastic and have great lives going raising their children!

Since landing in San Diego we have been going non-stop to get ready for our trip! I think we have investigated and visited every outdoor shop in the area and yesterday bought the boat ! After few minor adjustments and we will pick it up on Friday! So nice to see her sitting in the lot waiting for us shiny and new, both us are very excited!

Trying to be more regular on the blog as regular as the Wi-Fi service will allow us in Mexico. Sorry if the spelling or punctuation is off but I am exhausted and voice dictating this into the iPad. I will now attempt to attach pictures for you all whether it happens or not we will try and talk soon hope all is well with all love Linda and Richard, PS click photos at bottom of page


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb