Death Valley - China Date Ranch


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
May 30th 2011
Published: May 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


The name China Ranch is a shortened version of Chinaman's Ranch, so named in the later 1800's for a Chinese man who came to the canyon after working many years in the Death Valley Borax Mines. He developed the water in the area and planted fruit and vegetable gardens to supply the local mines and railroad

When traveling through the Death Valley area consider visiting beautiful China Ranch, near Tecopa California. China Ranch is a family owned and operated small farm, a lush piece of greenery amidst the forbidding Mojave Desert near Southern Death Valley. Imagine towering cottonwoods and willows by a wandering stream, date palms and abundant wildlife, all hidden away in some of the most spectacular scenery the desert has to offer.

The Ranch is also rich in history. The Old Spanish Trail is within walking distance, as is the historic Tonopah & Tidewater railroad bed. Hike to nearby abandoned mines if you wish, or just relax and browse through our store.

They offer several varieties of California dates as well as our own hybrids. Try some delicious date nut bread, muffins or cookies, or take home a Jar of Jalapeno Honey Mustard my favorite.
China date RanchChina date RanchChina date Ranch

1903 Saloon Remains

If you are interested in learning more about the wildlife, plants or history of the area, try one of their interpretive guided nature walks. Learn about the geology, botany, birds, and early man in the area. The Old Spanish Trail comes alive again and much more. Visiting China Ranch can be a wonderful day trip.

This isa resort or tourist development, but rather a working family farm in a truly unusual setting. We are located 85 miles west of Las Vegas, Nevada, off Highway 127 en route to Death Valley National Park. Camping, motels and free natural hot mineral baths are available in nearby Tecopa Hot Springs and Shoshone.

Hiking trails and opportunities abound at China Ranch. Trails vary in length from a few hundred yards to several miles. October through April are the best months in order to avoid the intense summer heat. Routes may include lush riparian strips that are excellent habitat for birding, narrow rock canyons, winding arroyo badlands, mining and railroad ruins, as well as paleo-indian campsites.

Wildlife in the area includes coyotes, foxes, bobcats, badgers, over 100 species of birds, and many varieties of reptiles. Picnicking and photography are also favorite activities. Camping, R.V. spaces, and free natural hot baths are available at nearby Tecopa. Full services are available at Shoshone, 17 miles north of China Ranch.

First, a few words of caution. Like hiking anywhere, there are certain inherent hazards when exploring China Ranch. The different trails vary in length and difficulty, and we have tried to point out the particular risks of each trail. Please take a moment and check out the gift shop trail guides are sold for .50 cents each read this trail guide for each route you may take, and decide before hand if you are physically fit and properly equipped for the hike. Remember that emergency or medical help is a long distance and a considerable amount of time away. If you choose to explore one of the trails, be prepared. Always take water, wear a hat and sturdy shoes, and exercise common sense when hiking in the desert.




Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

China date RanchChina date Ranch
China date Ranch

1903 Saloon Remains
China date RanchChina date Ranch
China date Ranch

1903 Saloon Remains
China date RanchChina date Ranch
China date Ranch

1903 Saloon Remains


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb