Sequoia National Park


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
March 31st 2010
Published: April 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

31 March 2010

On a day of contrasts we had an adventure in the morning and outstanding views in the evening.

Exeter is on the road to The Sequoia National Park, our next park visit. When we awoke we noted it had rained overnight but we carried on anyway hoping we could ascend into the mountains. Arriving at the Park boundary we were told it was snowing at higher altitudes but the road we wanted to traverse was open. So up we went into the snow and the Jeep’s four wheel drive coped admirably without chains. The sight we particularly wanted to see was the General Sherman Giant Sequoia, the largest tree in the world and we made it there through the blizzard. However the road was closed just beyond there and we had to retrace our steps.

When we got back to lower altitudes the weather suddenly improved and we had a sunny drive to our night’s stop in a motel just outside Yosemite National Park. As the weather still looked changeable we decided to have a drive up into the park and we were rewarded with very few people about and the evening sun producing a rainbow on the Bridalveil Fall and picking out all the features on El Capitan one of the largest cliffs in the world. Truly memorable sights.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1895s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb