Day 27


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
October 11th 2009
Published: October 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

October 9, 2009
“To many, a redwood grove is a natural cathedral; there’s a sense of peace and reverence as one passes between the lofty pillars of trees and along the aisles of ferns, moss, sorrel and trillium, while high above sunlight filters through the canopy as if through stained glass”. This is a description of the Redwood Forest taken from a brochure about it…I don’t know who wrote this but I could never describe the experience as beautifully or as accurately!
Today we left Eureka quite early. We were driving all the way to Sunnyvale which was going to take quite some time, but we had reservations there. After driving for a short while we turned onto the Avenue of the Giants and that was simply magnificent. We did feel as if we were in church standing in a grove of these enormous trees. We all felt as if we should whisper a prayer… I know the pictures will not do it justice.
After the spiritual experience we became the Ricardos and Mertzs and drove through the “Drive Through Tree”!
After deciding to take route one, the coast road instead of 101, we began the ride of a life time. Bill drove and we covered the 2oo miles to San Francisco on a route that defies description. ..narrow road ways that hugged the mountain with the sea 200 yards below…sharp cliffs that dropped to a rocky shore line…on the other side of the road, maybe cows on a hillsides that was covered with pampas grass. At times the ocean looked like glass… the coast of California is amazing, the drive scary wonderful…diverse…magnificent!
We arrived in Sunnyvale at about 8 pm…exhausted! Cocktails…cheese…bed!
Today’s Road Lesson: The coast of California is magnificent.



Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb