Day 2


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
September 22nd 2009
Published: September 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today got off to a late start, but by 10 am I was off and back on my bike. Although the sunny Californian sky was still covered by fog it was pretty warm and, feeling strong, was pushing between 25 and 30 km/h for the first 2 hours when I reached Santa Barbra.
On the way I met a really nice couple who, as it turns out have traveled round the world twice and have basically gone nuts traveling by bike. Although I can see how it becomes adictive!
Santa Barbra is a great city and has a really nice feel to it, such a nice change from Oxnard. But maybe that’s because it was foggy. By this stage the sun was in full swing and I was loving it. I spent a while in the centre of town in trying to get on the internet to find my way to tonights camp spot, still didn't have a map…oops!
So after figguring that out I went in search of a bike shop and a spare tube, success! Right next door was a book shop with a map of the whole of California on it. Score, two birds with one stone. Next was lunch, some shopping for dinner and finding somewhere to fill up my fuel bottle for my stove.
I pulled into a petro and met the attendant there who was called Gabe. Aparently I can't work fuel pumps over here so he filled up my bottle for me and when I told him about my plans he gave me the fuel for free, what a hero!! Thanks buddy.
Then I had my first run-in with the law, turns out that you can't ride a bike on the edge of a freeway and a police manny came up behind me and told me so!! He then escorted me off the road through a patch of grass which gave me my first real puncture!
After that It was pretty clean sailing and a real nice ride along the coast to my camp spot, called refugio state park which is a pretty amazing place. I pitched my tent and ran down to the sea and got my feet all wet. A big mistake I found out as the beach is covered in tar that sticks to your feet. Hmm not so much fun. Anyway time for sleep now but I'll leave you with today's stats

Ride time - 3:53:28
Average speed - 23.9 km/h
Distance - 93.26 km
Max speed - 50.5 km/h
Total distance so far - 205.17 km

Aly x


Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0183s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb