Mountains, Beaches and Snow: A California Winter


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
March 21st 2009
Published: July 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Bixby Bridge, Big SurBixby Bridge, Big SurBixby Bridge, Big Sur

The iconic landmark of the West, where engineering allowed access to this remote wilderness.

Edward Abbey:
"There is science, logic, reason; there is thought verified by experience.
And then there is California."


Jimmy Carter:
“Whatever starts in California
unfortunately has an inclination to spread.”


Henry Miller:
“Big Sur is the California that men dreamed of years ago, this is the Pacific that Balboa looked at from the Peak of Darien, this is the face of the earth as the Creator intended it to look”


Arnold Schwarzenegger:
"California will not wait for our federal government to take strong action on global warming. We won't wait for the federal government. We will move forward because we know it's the right thing to do.
We will lead on this issue."
(when asked if it was time to legalize cannabis)
"No, I think that it's not time for that, but I think it's time for a debate"
"I would rather be Governor of California than own Austria"


Ross MacDonald:
"Nothing is wrong with Southern California that a rise in the ocean level wouldn't cure."


Jonathan Culler:
“Los Angeles makes the rest of California seem authentic”



California has 1750 kilometers of coastline, 424,000 sq kilometers of land area and 35 million people. Approximately 85%!o(MISSING)f its
Coastal Redwood, Big Basin State ParkCoastal Redwood, Big Basin State ParkCoastal Redwood, Big Basin State Park

Only 4% of old growth Redwoods remain. Here we see a giant in the Santa Cruz mountains of the SF Bay Area.
population living within 50 kilometers of the coast. Today, each resident has about 5 centimeters of coastline to enjoy, and the population is increasing at the rate of 1500 people per day. In 2008 California made over 545 million gallons of wine. With less than four percent of the nation’s farmland California produces 350 commercial crops, generating agricultural revenue of over 31 Billion USD per year. Each year California makes 80 percent of the world supply of almonds, 5.3 billion eggs and $3 Billion USD in grapes.

California had over 74 distinct Native American languages at the time of contact.
The California Floristic Province has over 2100 endemic species of animals and plants.
California is home to 52 conifers, including 18 of the United States' 39 pines, 10 of its 11 cypresses, and 7 of its 9 firs. Noted Species:

Bill Clinton:
"California has become the first American state where there is no majority race, and we're doing just fine. If you look around the room, you can see a microcosm of what we can

Snowshoeing in a Blizzard, LassenSnowshoeing in a Blizzard, LassenSnowshoeing in a Blizzard, Lassen

Shortly after setting off on the trail, a summit of Lassen Volcano seemed unlikely
do in the world. . . . You should be hopeful on balance about the future. But it's like any future since the beginning of time -- you're going to have to make it.”

Gloria Swanson:
"All creative people should be required to leave California for three months every year."


Saul Bellow

“California is like an artificial limb the rest of the country doesn't really need. You can quote me on that.”


Fred Allen:
"California is a fine place to live—if you happen to be an orange."


Mort Sahl:
"You haven't lived until you've died in California”



Geographical ElitismAn attitude of superiority based solely on geographical location. ex--> People in Newport Beach looks down on people from Huntington Beach, who look down on those from Riverside. Both of them make fun of people who are from Barstow. ex--> In San Francisco people look poorly upon those from San Jose, Who view people from Fresno poorly, who in turn make fun of people who live in Bakersfield.

But what is the real armpit of California? Wealth? Materialism? Beauty?

The reality of California is that it is a microcosm of the world. All that is good and
Sea Palms, PescaderoSea Palms, PescaderoSea Palms, Pescadero

Postelsia palmaeformis - How this algae manages to live on rocks that get pounded by enormous waves is food for thought
bad about human civilization is here. We set trends for a nation, we have race riots, we make movies, we advance technology, we are culturally diverse. 25%!o(MISSING)f our environment is pristine with most of that protected. We also are a product of the petroleum based world. The vast settling of the American Southwest was only possible with a combination of cheap oil and imported water from hundreds of miles away. If we independently have the world's 7th largest economy, why does the California government have a $22 Billion USD deficit and run out of money for schools?

--Steve
http://www.sphotography.org


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

High Desert, SusanvilleHigh Desert, Susanville
High Desert, Susanville

Snow showers passed over the cows, only to sublimate into the dry desert air.
Snowcamp, LassenSnowcamp, Lassen
Snowcamp, Lassen

The most visibility for the entire trip. What you can't see is the incessant 25 mph winds!
Perfect Wave, PescaderoPerfect Wave, Pescadero
Perfect Wave, Pescadero

a regular but strong swell with strong offshore winds.
Bear Valley Ski ResortBear Valley Ski Resort
Bear Valley Ski Resort

Summit Elevation: 8,500', Mountain Base: 6,600' -1280 skiable acres -1,900' vertical drop -67 trails 25% Beginner, 40% Intermediate, 35% Advanced -1 high-speed quad -2 triple chairs -6 double chairs
SusanvilleSusanville
Susanville

A former logging and mining town in the high desert.
Carson PassCarson Pass
Carson Pass

2620 m (8600 ft) - distant left is Round Top Mountain, 3150 m (10,350 ft)
Big Sur NorthBig Sur North
Big Sur North

Perhaps the most beautiful part of the California coastline
Big SurBig Sur
Big Sur

Big Sur is the last holdout of the Coastal Redwood and the entire coastline is a sanctuary, primarily for the Sea Otter which was nearly decimated.
Bear Valley Ski ResortBear Valley Ski Resort
Bear Valley Ski Resort

There is something for everyone at Bear Valley- if you don't mind the drive.
California CondorCalifornia Condor
California Condor

Gymnogyps californianus - Native to California. In the late 1970's, the species was reduced to a population of less than 25 birds. More than 120 are now alive.


1st July 2009

Lovely photos
Stunning images there! Thanks,really enjoyed your California blog!
3rd July 2009

Yay Cali!
Hi! I loved reading the quotes about Cali :) All the photos made me miss the beaches!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
23rd September 2009

loser
loser

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb