USA


Advertisement
Published: May 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So this is my first blog entry! I am currently sitting in a backpackers hostel in Auckland (ACB) having arrived into Auckland at 5am after a 12.5 hr flight from LA, check in is not until 1pm so i am just hanging around not doing much until then, as i am in desperate need of a shower before entering the world!

Right, well i left home on the 20th April with Joe and we flew into San Francisco. We got settled at the hotel and walked into the main shopping area of the town (Joe wouldnt let me go into any of them though, which is prob a good thing as i have waaay too much stuff with me already!). On our first full day there, we went on the tram to Fisherman's Wharf and had a walk around and booked our tickets for Alcatraz for the following day. In the afternoon we hired a tandem bike and cycled all over, and went across the Golden Gate Bridge which was amazing! I was obviously the better cyclist, and didnt want to show Joe up, so i let him go at the front! It was definately a fantastic thing to do tho, and the tandem made it that bit more fun! ooo, and for the 'young ones' reading this (mum and dad, i know you wont know what im talking about!) on the way back we stumbled across the filming of a Ludacris (sp?) film! bumped into Tommy Lee and Ludacris' tour buses and even spotted him being filmed! very random but quite cool.

The next day we went to Alcatraz which was a really good experience! we did the cell block tour and it was really interesting to learn about it and the attempted escapes. In the evening we headed into China Town which was actually really big and had a really nice meal there too.

The following day we picked up our car. i had booked a small, economy type car as that was the cheapest, and true to their word we got their 'smallest' car. it just happened to be a Rav4 Sport (very cool, 4x4 type Jeep thing) I would post photos but all the ones I took in America are on Joe's camera, so I will wait until he has loaded them up! We left San Fran on Route 1 and headed down the coast towards LA. It was a much longer drive than we both thought, but the views were just stunning and it was definately worth taking the longer road around! We arrived in LA late on the Wednesday night, and checked into a cheap motel next to Universal Studios, where we spent the following day. To be honest, LA wasn't really that nice, especially the Hollywood area which was a bit of a dump! So we spent our time there going to a theme park which was huge and realllly good fun!

We then drove down to San Diego, and along the way we had a bit of a tyre problem. we drove over some massive pin thing and it gave us a flat, but luckily Joe is strong and manly and he changed it with no problem! (there is no way i would have been able to lift one of those tyres, they were huge!) We arrived in San Diego and stayed at a Days Inn which was really nice as it had a pool. Very handy seeing as it got to near 100F when we were there! (Dont worry mum, Im not burnt, although i do have a pretty pink nose) When in San D we went to the famous Zoo (a must for anyone going that way!! they have Pandas AND Polar Bears- Lyns i took loads of photos to give you a taste of the North pole!) We also went Kayaking at La Jolla beach where we saw a huge number of Sealions just chilling out. we have since found out though that the day before we did this a man was actually killed by a Great White Shark while swimming! crazy, but we didnt see any.

From San Diego we headed to Las Vegas, which was really coool, definately a good experience but not one that i would really need to do again! It is a very strange place, lots of lights and happy people, and everything is really cheap there too! we visited all the main Casinos and had a walk about, but the best ones were New York New York, Paris, and The Mirage (which has Dolphin Pools and Lions and Tigers!! really strange) The Venetian was massive, and that is where we watched a show, The Blue Man Group, very very funny and a fantastic show!

We then headed back to LA where we had a day to kill before getting our separate flights. It was very sad to say bye to Joe, but we had a really good couple of weeks together and now it is my turn to head off and explore the World!! First stop, New Zealand where all I can think of at the minute is my bed! Love to all, thats it for now! xxxx

Advertisement



5th May 2008

Hello to a fellow traveller
Yeah to travelling the world!! You know when you're gonna be in SE Asia yet? Hope u have fun in NZ! Lotsa lv xx

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb