Lions and Tigers And No Bears


Advertisement
Published: August 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Yosemite KiwiYosemite KiwiYosemite Kiwi

Damn squirrels - They ate my crayons Too!
From: fran the man
Sent: Friday, 15 April 2005
To: everyone
Subject: Yosemite


Yes I am still alive!
Have been in Yosemite since Monday and am in love it’s just amazing!
Haven’t seen any bears yet but there are plenty of squirrels - one put a hole in the front of my day pack on Tuesday when I was up a 6 pitch climb called the Nut cracker - very nice and easy 5.8. Am stuck seconding as I’m too shit scared to lead on Pro. Hahahaa the time will come one day though. The rock is amazing just super sticky granite and nice Cracks.
Have been for a couple of little hikes out to see some waterfalls and the bottom of half dome. Half dome’s soooo pretty and very photogenic.
It’s freezing! There’s still snow on the valley floor, however today was super hot and here’s hoping the rest of the weeks like that. Hav ebeen hanging out with other crazt campers, there's a lovely welsh bloke who keeps getting love letters from his girlfriend back home, a mad scotsman who doesn't seem to do much more then drink and light good fires, and an ice climbing canadian we
Half DomeHalf DomeHalf Dome

Was covered in snow so I never made it all the way to the top
are pretty much camp regulars who spend our evenings talking shit and complaining about the cold.
Don’t expect another email till Monday at lest as the library hours are kinda funny. Here’s hoping I don’t get eaten by a bear between now and then. Squirrels have taken over Yosemite - one ate my purple crayon earlier on in the week grrr.

love Fran

From: Mama
Sent: Friday, 15 April 2005.
To: 'fran the man'
Subject: RE: Yosemite


Very reassuring, just hanging off a cliff in bear country!

Love and take care

Momma XXX

From: fran the man
Sent: Tuesday, 19 April 2005
To: everyone
Subject: No bears still


Bit disappointed about that actually!
Got to see some Coyotes today though wondering around the valley. Pretty neat. Haven’t seen much dogwood flowering around the region Paula but I suppose I haven’t been looking that hard.
Not much to report at the mo, more of the same in regards to hiking and climbing and waterfalls galore. Had a rest day on Saturday and walked as far as you can get up Half dome, the last 2 miles are in snow at the moment. Gave my
Me ClimbingMe ClimbingMe Climbing

You cant really tell but im aprox 80metres up a cliff right now.
knees a bit of a hard time on the way back down. Am up to my 3rd free sandwich from strangers now, I keep finding people who just want to feed me! Hahaha! I then had to have a rest day from the rest day!
Am due to leave on Thursday and should be arriving in Oakland around 430-5 in the evening, cheers barb, you told me to remind you.
Went and finished the book you lent me yesterday out by Mirror Lake in the sunshine, it was quite nice and relaxing for a day off.

Glad to hear renovations are still all go at home and that the builders earning his keep.

love fran

Random yosemite story
My last night in Yosemite was spent round the fire talking with the lads, id spent the day climbing with a guy by the name of Rick Sylvester, who it turns out is a bit of a climbing legend. I mean Old Skool climbing legend, first and second ascents on climbs in yosemite kinda thing. Our campfire was joined this evening by a couple from LA by the names of Freddy and Patty. This was their first trip out into "the woods" and they were absolutely facinated by the fact that we as travellers had all up and left our normal lives to explore the world. It wasn't till the next day over breakfast that the guys told me about that how Freddy had introduced himself the previous night. He'd just strolled up and said "Hi, My name Freddy, I make porn and this is my assistant Patty. Mind if we join your Fire?" Legend.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

artsy shotartsy shot
artsy shot

yosemite falls with a dead tree
El CapitanEl Capitan
El Capitan

Legendary Rock


Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0734s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb