Yosemite Yomping....


Advertisement
Published: May 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Now, for those of you that don't know.......and I didn't......Yosemite is a national park, based around an impressive glacial valley, and home to the world's 5th largest waterfall.

The bus ride was relatively uneventful....ooohh except for some WEIRD coincidences. There were 4 of us on the trip and the 2 strangers were british guys. I got chatting to them and quickly discovered that they were from near Bristol (something Jen often said) Living in Wotton Under Edge Bristol is the safest bet for people actually recognising it! Further chat revealed that they too were from Wotton, and even more scarily from Charfield (Jen's little village!) And that they knew of her! That exclaimed over, chat continued.....only to discover there was more spookiness at work! One of the guys was just chatting generally and dropped in 'well, before I moved from Havant'. I recognised this place and questioned it as being near Portsmouth, yep he replied.......'don't spose you know laura crasswellar do you?' I asked ( I lived with her in my first and second years!). He looked positively aghast - not Darren's little sister......... UNBELIEVABLE - apparently just 2 degrees of separation at work there! It is truly a small world!

Our first hike was not quite what I would call a hike, more a leisurely stroll along the river side - but it was good to get a bit of exercise after being cooped up in the bus for 6 hours! It was pleasant nonetheless and we returned to the "Bug" (the hostel) for dinner and to meet yet more people - more Europeans. (I managed to avoid the Brits this time) meeting a french guy and a german, both called Chris! Naturally the french Chris had my heart the moment he started speaking!

The next day was slightly more arduous! We started out at 8 am to see the Giant Seqouias in the park. Estimated to be 2700 years old - they were quite big! The eldest being called the Grizzly Giant and truly knarled and weather beaten...though I suppose I would be at that age! From there it was onto the longest hike of the day 8 miles round trip - straight up and then straight back down! Ouch! Was a great climb - although made slightly harder as the group was joined by a larger American lady who held proceedings up a little! The view from the top was well worth it though - overlooking Yosemite falls and the glacial valley - stunning stuff - perhaps more so than NZ!!! Horror of all horrors! After another 2 hour hike to to some more waterfalls we were exhausted and though the guide was keen to do more, we were forced to admit defeat.......there was a HUGE plus side to that though......our drive back was met by a sea of blinking hazard lights.......an accident I though.......uh-uh - only means one thing apparently, BEARS! We were rewarded by a close (too close for my liking) encounter with a black bear mother and cub! It made my day!! Very cool!

Our final morning was a day of exploration for us and the guides! We went in search of an old gold mine! All the processing machines were known of, so we were shown around them - then for the fun bit apparently......looking for the old shafts! Warned with a careful - if you see a hollow like that, don't walk on it!!!! Joy! Half way into this abandoned wood our 'guide' declared that it was ok, that was what we had signed the disclaimer for! EXCELLENT!




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0324s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb