Yosemite---An Amazing Place!


Advertisement
Published: November 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Yosemite


October 24, 2006, Tuesday. Our first full day at Yosemite, began at the Visitor’s Center, where we got info on hikes, tours, and saw a neat video---The Spirit of Yosemite. The famous naturalist, John Muir, was instrumental in getting Abe Lincoln to preserve some of this scenic wilderness and keep it for all people to see and enjoy. Later, he will convenience Franklin that more area is needed to preserve the ecosystem, and it becomes a National Park.
Back on our bikes, we stopped at the trail to the lower Yosemite Falls, quite dry at this time of year, but a pleasant walk among the Ponderosa Pines. The time to see rushing water is spring.
After lunch at the Yosemite Lodge, we left on a tram-ride through Yosemite, narrated by a Ranger; neat way to get a handle on this new area. Yosemite is a valley carved by glaciers, not exactly a “V” but more of a “U” shape. The half-dome is a huge granite cliff, yes it looks like a broken dome. Other sights include El Capitan, a popular spot for rock-climbers—and right on cue there were several climbers---at first it appears as a dot on the cliff with something shiny glinting down. Talk about a Kodak moment, my neck got tired looking up. Then the Bridalveil Falls was flowing and vistas from the Tunnel View were great.
This late in October, it could be a winter wonderland her at Yosemite. We lucked out, the weather is perfect, sunny cool days, cold nights, and chilly mornings—time for layering and great for hiking.
Wednesday, October 25, 2006. First thing this AM, we got our day-packs ready and headed for the Vernal/Nevada Falls, it follows the John Muir and the Mist Trail. The trail was very steep, and after hiking up, up the switchbacks, we began to climb a granite stairway. The term stairway suggests something orderly, NOT SO! The rise can be 7 inches to 3 foot and over 600 steps to the top! At the top we stopped for a snack and were surrounded by squirrels, yelling—“Feed Me!” I think not. The views were wonderful.
We continued on to the Nevada Falls, yes more climbing! We got some good photos, and started back. The distance round trip was probably only 4 ½ / 5 miles but the elevation gain of more than 2,000 feet it took us more than 3 hours.
There is a shuttle bus that runs around Yosemite Village, and it is very efficient.
In Yosemite National Park, the campgrounds have no hook-ups, so this is a test for the Bothan’s batteries. We seem to be doing quite good. At dinner time we switch on the generator for a brief time, and it allows us to give the batteries a boost, and to bake or grill at the same time.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Bob zoomed in to see the actual climbers.Bob zoomed in to see the actual climbers.
Bob zoomed in to see the actual climbers.

Did you see the climber in the last picture


22nd November 2006

breathtaking

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0177s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb