On the road again


Advertisement
Published: November 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hello again

You now find us in (well more correctly just outside) Yosemite National Park.

Our trip today was relatively uneventful and unspectacular. It took us past the Edwards Air force Base so we had some fun watching various manoeuvres along the way, and the most massive farm of wind generators we have ever seen, in the Southern Sierra Nevada Mountains.

Our journey took us through Fresno which is a major agricultural centre - if the road proximity is any indication, it is primarily wine and citrus.

In any event, the smog for about 2 hours was unbelievable. Presumably that finds its way inland from LA, but it is a disgrace and they should do something about it.

I need to talk about petrol (Gasoline) - not least because we almost ran out today looking for a cheaper price.

Until today, we have not found a garage where you simply rock up and fill your car. You have to go in, estimate the amount you will need (in itself a bit difficult when you don’t have any idea how big a tank you have), pay the man who unlocks the bowser and you fill up then go back in a collect your change. Stupid and inefficient but there are many such stories I will relate upon my return.

Today however we struck a new stupidity. This particular servo advertised unleaded at $3.09 9/10 (that’s how they all do it), but when you got to the bowser it was $3.19 9/10. So I go in and speak to the Indian dude (yes that’s right, the same as in Oz) and he tells me to qualify for the advertised rate, I need to prepay a deposit - otherwise, I pay 10c a Gallon more. I pay my $40, he changes the bowser, I fill with $30 and go in and collect the change. BTW, I had to line up with 3 or 4 others each time I went in to the store!

And these clowns can’t work out why the joint is going broke!!!!

Anyway, we are now in a rather delightful ‘Rustic Lodge’ called Yosemite Bug. It shapes up pretty well as we have a nice (ie the best) room (there are tents and dorms here as well) and we look forward to dins tonight and a full day hiking in the Park tomorrow. Sounds fabulous. (We have already walked the trail around the lodge dutifully avoiding the poison Oak as advised), and so far have not encountered any bear. Instruction for tomorrow are scratchy at best should we encounter any bear. “Make yourself as big as possible and don’t try to run”. Hmmmmm.

I shall let you know tomorrow night god willing. At least we are out of rattlesnake territory.

All the best

Chris and Ian



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.196s; Tpl: 0.032s; cc: 12; qc: 42; dbt: 0.1357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb