Ears Popping, Stomachs Churning, Welcome to Yosemite


Advertisement
Published: August 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Tenaya LakeTenaya LakeTenaya Lake

Tenaya Lake in Yosemite National Park
Bishop was quite a quaint little town, but we left in the morning without spending any time to check out what the immediate area had to offer.

Bishop didn’t actually seem that far from Yosemite, but the problem was that it was on the opposite side of the park to the town where our hotel was located. For one thing, Yosemite is absolutely huge and for another thing, the roads are narrow, windy and constantly going up-and-down. It took two hours of driving to get from where we went into the park to where we wanted to be.

We broke that drive by stopping off a small lake called Tenaya Lake. After being 190 feet below sea-level the day before, this lake was at 9,000 feet above sea-level and our ears had been popping for most of the journey from Death Valley. There were paths all the way around the lake (a part from a short part along the side of the road) and it made a nice walk. A nice introduction to Yosemite.

We were staying in a place called Fish Camp to the south of Yosemite. Whilst this was only a couple of miles from the
Ellery LakeEllery LakeEllery Lake

Ellery Lake in Yosemite National Park
park, the sheer size of Yosemite meant that it was a long way still to go and the winding roads meant that it took a long while to drive there. The drive went via the main tourist area in Yosemite known as The Valley, but even when we got there, we still had another 35 miles to go.

We stopped at a view point over the valley to stretch our legs. This was just near the entrance to a long road tunnel and was hence known as the Tunnel View. A coach pulled in just before us, which was annoying as it was suddenly very busy.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

The Tunnel ViewThe Tunnel View
The Tunnel View

The Yosemite Valley from the Tunnel View


Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0212s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb