Yosemite National Park, California


Advertisement
Published: May 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Yosemite Falls Reflection Yosemite Falls Reflection Yosemite Falls Reflection

Cook's Meadow had little ponds that made good reflections in the morning.
We got to Day Parking early and found a shady parking place. The day was slightly cooler. A cold front is supposed to come in Wednesday. The photo class had about 12 people. One woman in the class lived in Richmond, Short Pump in fact. We walked around the meadow and the Instructor gave different ideas about compositions. She showed us where to find reflections in the meadow ponds. When the class was over I took the bus to Ahwahnee Hotel. It’s the luxury lodge for the park and was built in the 1920’s. I walked around. It was interesting. The lobby was filled with people on the internet.
I returned to CT in time for lunch. Frank said he enjoyed his tree walk with the ranger. (Wednesday is the geology walk.) After eating we decided to go to Vernal Falls and walk the Mist Hike. Once you get close to the falls the mist soaks you. We took our raincoats for protection. We left CT parked and rode the shuttle to the trailhead. The park seemed more crowded today. I’m still trying to figure out the road system and where things are. Lots of points don’t have signs and some of the signs are showing in the opposite direction because it was a one-way road. All the roads are supposed to be open Friday. (We leave Saturday).
The hike to Vernal Fall is not long, but it is steep. It’s uphill the entire way, no switchbacks. Today was a cooler day so it didn’t get too hot. Nevada Waterfall was also visible from the trail. After we reached the lower view we decided to continue on. When get close to the falls at the top it starts to get wet. We protected our cameras with plastic bags. We took our raincoats but Frank had picked up my rain pants instead of my raincoat (both are the same color and zipped into a bundle). Being the considerate husband he is, he gave me his raincoat and he went without. At this point, the trail consists of steep granite steps, sometimes submerged in water. It’s kind of tricky. I went up maybe halfway then turned around and went back down. I enjoyed the waterfall and rapids while waiting for frank. It was so pretty and pleasant. Tree pollen was floating in the air like snow (sneeze! I also noticed yellow dust covering my camera).Frank went to the top. He said it was very steep and he got very wet, but he dried quickly and was glad we made the ascent.
We ate dinner in the parking lot then took off for Glacier Point. Glacier Point turnoff is on the way to our campground about an hour and a half out of the way. It’s another twisting, steep road. I wanted to photograph in the warm light before sunset... Glacier Pt is 7200 ft above Yosemite Valley. You can actually look down at Yosemite Village from the top. You can see Half Dome, Yosemite falls and some other sites. It’s a popular sunset location because of the light on Half Dome. It was nice and the coldest I’ve been in California. There was still snow all over. Lots of people were enjoying the view. We left before the sun completely set. Frank does great on the mountain roads, but driving it at night takes more concentration. We were back to the campsite by 9:15 pm.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Vernal FallsVernal Falls
Vernal Falls

The fall is 317 feet high and one hundred feet wide during the spring.
The Mist Trail next to Vernal FallThe Mist Trail next to Vernal Fall
The Mist Trail next to Vernal Fall

You get drenched going up the steep steps. Frank went to the top.
Frank at the Top of Vernal FallsFrank at the Top of Vernal Falls
Frank at the Top of Vernal Falls

He had someone take this photo of him on the ledge. I didn't go to the top.
Nevada FallNevada Fall
Nevada Fall

Seen on the trail to Vernal Fall
View of Falls from Washburn Point View of Falls from Washburn Point
View of Falls from Washburn Point

A stop on Glacier Point Rd. Looking down on Vernal and Nevada Falls.
Half Dome at Glacier PointHalf Dome at Glacier Point
Half Dome at Glacier Point

Waiting for the low sunlight to hit Half Dome
Half Dome at Glacier PointHalf Dome at Glacier Point
Half Dome at Glacier Point

The setting sun makes Half Dome glow.


Tot: 0.347s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 105; dbt: 0.2263s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb