Yosemite National Park


Advertisement
Published: April 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Yosemite Valley 27 secs
Steve:

The drive to Yosemite from San Fran was pretty easy but took a little longer than expected due to the mountain roads on the approach to Yosemite. Its a great drive though and the scenery constantly changes which eases the boredom of a long drive. I am loving driving the new car too much, much quicker than the old one - shame about the strict speed limits!

We have been staying at a resort called Curry Village which offers camping (the tents are already set up for you) and log cabins. We took a cabin for the first couple of nights which was nice and then the tens for the last two nights. You are warned to not keep food in the tents or cars or the bears will come in and get it. They show videos in reception of bears literally pulling car doors of there hinges! This gets me quite excited that we will see one but a bit worried about walking to the toilet block at night!

The first day we spend doing various walking trails. The first is around Yosemite Falls which is the 5th highest in the world. Its an amazing sight
Yosemite FallsYosemite FallsYosemite Falls

The 5th Highest Waterfall in the World!
and actually has 3 different waterfalls (upper, middle, lower). We climbed over the rocks to have a closer look at the lower falls and got absolutely soaked as there is so much spray. We then walked around Mirror Lake which reflects a peak called the Half Dome. Its a really hot day so its great to cool of in the Lake.

The next day we hired bikes which was ok but it was a bit hot and they had closed a lot of roads for work so we felt a bit short changed.

The next day we drove up to Brideval falls (7th highest in the world) to take a few photos before driving to the Happy Isles for a little walk. We are restricted to Yosemite Valley which is a bit of a shame as the rest of National Park is inaccessible until late May as the snow is too deep. It also means that the road to Death Valley is shut so it looks like we will miss out on that. Oh well, can't do everything.

Sadly in our 3 days here we did not see a bear. I am gutted. Plenty of squirrels and deer but no bears! It is brilliant here though and the photos don't do the scenery justice. The set up is first class at Curry Village and their buffet dinners and especially breakfasts are amazing. The cabins are pretty nice to stay in as are the tents although a little cold at night despite their heaters. The evenings are a bit quiet hence me writing a lot about it and actually reading my book for the first time!

Roll on Vegas!






Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Lower Yosemite FallsLower Yosemite Falls
Lower Yosemite Falls

We got soaked looking at this because of the amount of spray coming off it. It was like it was raining!
Half Dome againHalf Dome again
Half Dome again

The moon in the background gives an idea of the size compared to the earlier picture
Me in the cabin Me in the cabin
Me in the cabin

Nice and comfortable
Cycling by the snowCycling by the snow
Cycling by the snow

Kate couldn't believe there was snow as it was so hot but outside of the valley it was completely covered so that the rest of the park was actually inaccessible!
Half Dome again - sorry!Half Dome again - sorry!
Half Dome again - sorry!

I liked the picture
Yosemite FallsYosemite Falls
Yosemite Falls

With a small rainbow at the bottom
At the end of early morning walkAt the end of early morning walk
At the end of early morning walk

We got up early to see a bear and didn't. I am not happy!
Brideval FallsBrideval Falls
Brideval Falls

The 7th Highest waterfall in the World
El CapitanEl Capitan
El Capitan

A brilliant name
Me and KateMe and Kate
Me and Kate

By the river on the Happy Isles. Another brilliant name
California Ground SquirrelCalifornia Ground Squirrel
California Ground Squirrel

Cheeky little buggers who got into our tent looking for food!
Our tentOur tent
Our tent

food storage in the box on the left so the bears don't come in to get you!


Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb