Lake Tahoe region


Advertisement
Published: January 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Spent the day driving around the south and south western shore of Lake Tahoe. Beautiful blue skis tostart the day. Drove south and headed towards the renowned Emerald Bay. Numerous photo stops along the way and vista points. Hugged the edge of the mountain as we drove around towards emerald bay on the right hand side of the road, another car came sailing around a bend and straight across us and into a vista point on our right!

Got photos of emerald bay and read all about the castle that was built at the bottom of the cliff we were standing on and then headed a bit further around the lake to the carpal entrance to the drive down to the castle, Vikingsholm. The road down was closed due to the 2 feet of snow over it so it was decided we could walk the mile down to it. It turned into quite an interesting and entertaining walk down. Numerous opportunities for people to disappear through the snow.

The castle was really quite amazing and it is a pity so much stuff is not open just because of a bit of snow!

After hiking back up, we drove further north along the west edge of the lake. Most of the real estate along ere is purely ski cottages owned by the rich and famous. There does not appear to be a single restaurant or any shops to speak of so the opportunity to get lunch was zero. If this was most places, Perth included, there would have been a restaurant on a pier out onto the water!

We turned around and headed back to Tahoe and had a late lunch at a Burger shop.

Later we had snacks and drinks at the Embassy happy hour andwhere pretty full, but the kids decided we needed desert from the cafe around the corner like we had done the first night we were in Tahoe. It was about 8.30 and we walked through the entertainment complex in the Californian side of SLT and nothing was open. Defeated, we started to head home. Then we figured we hadn't gone over to the Nevada side of SLT. Well, casinos equal lots of stuff open. He'd a quick bet on a table and lost 4 of my 5 dollars, thenfound the Hard Rock Cafe and had desert there.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.23s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb