Lake Tahoe - skiing Heavenly Ski Resort


Advertisement
Published: January 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Got up at 7, cars in the car park covered in about 5 cm of new snow and the forecast is for more fresh snow and a bit of cloud this morning. There hasnt been fresh snow for the oast week so today looks like a day to ski. Had breakfast downstairs and in the hire shop in the hotel by 845. Got our lift passes from the hotel reception to avoid more queues and no the goldola by 915 and on the slopes a little after 930.

Lovely ski field and very pretty surrounds. Prefer to Mammoth which we did last week. Similar number of California idiots on slopes though. Apparently a popular way of going home from a days skiing is this way! 2 flights for life over the weekend.

We started on the Nevada side and did Aires(?) a couple of times and stayed around there even though by 930 in the morning, it was pretty chopped up. Did some runs through the trees but conditions variable and a lot of ice over powder and one death cookie.

A few idiots out there. One boarder cleaned up and dad and a 5 year old right in front of us. The dad was furious and wanted to know what the fork he was doing and why didn't he stop. The boarder said " I thought I was stopping!"

I pulled over to take a photo and a boarder came along and stacked it across the back of my skis as I was taking it. He got up and said, "man I was trying to avoid you" I said to him, "hmmm, I am standing on the side of a run that is 25 meters wide, you obviously didn't try very hard!"

Had lunch at the East Peak Grill which has amazing smelling food cooked outdoors in the minus 5to 8 degree weather! Pulled apart pork burger!

Finished the day on the Cal side. Skied the iconic ridge which I have seen a lot of people upload onto YouTube. Amazing view as seen in the early photos.

Home and straight in the spa downstairs with a beer from happy hour. 4 beers down and time for dinner. We met a guy from Hong Kong on the gondola who recommended a really good Mexican. the only within walking distance was Chevys. Walked to Chevys and the food was adequate but enormous serves and half the food got left on the plate. All except the deserts!

Home and bed by 10. Sleeping in planned for tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.221s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb