A Different Point of View


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Sonoma County
December 5th 2009
Published: December 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

By Melisse.
Taking flight… We humans do it when we travel to some far-away place and want to get there quickly. Birds are the earth’s experts. I love flying in my dreams, a pleasant and liberating experience. Recently Dave and I were fortunate to go flying in a little plane over Sonoma County with Bill’s son, Ethan, who is a steady and competent pilot. We met at Petaluma Airport, walked across the tarmac and watched Ethan carefully and systematically examine the Cesna before climbing in and taking off.

Seeing the world from a bird’s eye view and moving through three- dimensional space is magnificent. Observing the topography from that distance gives clarity to the roads we are accustomed to traveling; the hills and valleys so easy to see. Ethan asked us where we wanted to go. Our first destination was to “Maple Glen” where we lived with Doty for five years on Mayacamas Mountain. We looked for recognizable land marks, roads, meadows and bright blue swimming pools peaking out from the tufted, undulating oak and redwood forest below. It was challenging getting our bearings as we scoured the terrain for recognizable clues. Then “BINGO”, we were overjoyed to recognize the place we had known and loved so much, the meadow with Doty’s house on its edge, our house squeezed in among the trees, the creek we walked daily. The memories came flooding back.

Then on we flew, heading toward the coast, over Point Reyes, its triangular shape looking just like it does on a map. Onward to the town of Jenner where we could check on The Rock we own with three other families. Finding that was easy as it is the most prominent land feature around. As we circled it several times we could see the flat spot on top where we like to sleep and of course, Mary and Pat’s houses snugged up to its base.

We continued up the coast to view the Buhhdist Temple which beckoned us with gleaming gold light from a fifteen mile distance. Wow, what a sight. Another world exists there, perched upon a Sonoma County hill.

Then back south we traveled, viewing the landscape with its homes nestled into nooks in the hills, orchards, vineyards, and pastures until we were circling over Ali, Bill and Ethan’s home. Ali emerged from the house with the dogs. Quito, a tiny white speck, raced around in the driveway. It was super fun to see “our home” from a different point of view.

We returned to the airport and came in for a smooth landing. Ethan’s skill and steady nature never once gave us cause to be nervous or afraid. We left the airport feeling truly exhilarated.











Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Maple Glen, where we lived for 5 yearsMaple Glen, where we lived for 5 years
Maple Glen, where we lived for 5 years

Doty's house at the edge of the medow. The house we lived in is tucked in the trees down the hill.
The Rock in JennerThe Rock in Jenner
The Rock in Jenner

Mary and Pat's houses are at the lowest "corner" of the rock.
Ali, Bill and Ethan's homeAli, Bill and Ethan's home
Ali, Bill and Ethan's home

And where we've had the good fortune of spending the past 2 1/2 months.


6th December 2009

AWEsome!
Love this...thanks for sharing, too!
6th December 2009

Amazing Pics
Amazing pictures Dave. Looks like Cali is treating you right.
6th December 2009

lovely
Wow,...swell to see the rock and that lovely sleeping spot..... what a lovely ride.....a swell way to get high... Love

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb