Orange groves to snow drifts in only 20 miles


Advertisement
Published: March 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

General Grant and Captain AndyGeneral Grant and Captain AndyGeneral Grant and Captain Andy

I think this tree has the unlikely glory of being the 3rd largest in the world
From Death Valley to Kings Canyon you have to drive around the Sierra Nevada mountains - over 300 miles. So after 2 days and stops in Bakersfield and a much cuter town called Visalia, we passed through acres of orange groves to reach the west side of the Sierras. We literally looked up from the orange groves to the snow peaked mountains. 10 miles climbing up the hills it was evident the snow was going to be a problem for our little Mustang. Andy had already worked out that we were going to stop for snow chains. It was evident that it was essential. We crawled on up the hill and the snow and the trees were magnificent. The Sequoia trees are the largest trees in the world - 12 metres diameter - what!!

Having lived in Meribel for 8 years we are embarrassed to say that today we snow-shoed for the first time. Once we got used to it we had a little race - very funny. What fun!! We are staying in a very posh lodge which we got on the cheap and last night we were the only 2 in the place cuddled up by the open log fire - very special.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb