About Ali


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Sebastopol
October 7th 2009
Published: October 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

A friend requested I send her descriptions of our friends we see along our way. The request set me to the challenge of describing Ali, one of the more amazing women I’ve known. She and her husband, Bill, have GENEROUSLY welcomed us into their home and life in Sebastopol, California, for the time being. So although we’ve been friends for fifteen years, living with her now I am getting a fuller, richer picture of Ali’s multiple facets, her talents and inner beauty. Having worked together at Academy Studios I’ve long been awed by her talent as a painter, sculptor, project manager and ingenious problem solver. I knew she had a special way with dogs as soon as Dylie, who let very few people “under her skin”, had fallen madly in love with Ali after spending a weekend with her.

Now I have the pleasure of getting to know Ali in new ways. Where do I begin? ….Her deep connection with animals, all animals (except perhaps for spiders), is extra-ordinary! She respects and understands them in ways most people don’t. She is highly sensitive to and astute at reading their body language, behaviors, facial expressions, and vocalizations. She knows what makes them “tick”, how they think and what they feel. Ali grew up the daughter of two wildlife biologists and thus is well versed in the biological view of animals. She does extensive research on whatever type of animal she grows particularly interested in. Want to know about dogs? She knows gobs of stuff about various breeds, their physical and behavioral characteristics, history, etc. For as long as I’ve known her, Ali has had snakes, and lizards. About 8 years ago Ali fell in love with Tegus, a large lizard, native to Argentina. She first got one tegu and now has five. It is quite an experience to be present at mealtime for these feisty, mice-eating tegus. Squinch up your toes or they might mistake them for tasty morsels. On their apple farm, Ali and Bill have eight chickens, all with names and endearing personalities Ali loves to tell you about. ALI’S NEWEST OBSESSION IS GOATS. She LOVES LOVES LOVES her goaty boys and currently has four of them, Ouija, Gyro, Noggin and Jackie Leonard. They are being trained as pack goats and Dave and I have had the pleasure of their company and packing ability on two backpack trips into the mountains of northern California. It is quite a pleasure to be in the midst of Ali and the goats. It is clearly a love affair based on mutual admiration and respect.

I could go on and on, but in the effort to be less long-winded I will simply mention some other traits I find endearing and admirable in Ali. She is: cheerful, creative, intrepid, GENEROUS, unfussy, efficient, clever, capable, helpful, compassionate and quick-witted. She’s married to Bill, a colorful character in his own right; a dear and special man and quite different from Ali.

If you’re interested, check out Ali’s website:
http://alumniexhibits.com





Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0555s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb