Roaring Camp Railroad


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Santa Cruz
November 13th 2006
Published: November 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Just left the station behind!Just left the station behind!Just left the station behind!

too bad you cannot hear it whistle :-(
Nov 12, 2006

My surprise gift to Ganesh for our 3rd wedding anniversary. He thought it was Alcatraz all the while. He did not find out until we were nearing Scotts valley exit on Hwy 17. There was no reservations necessary. The first train ride was at 11:00 am. There were 2 other rides back to back at 12:30 pm and 2:30 pm. It was raining near home on Saturday. Fortunately for us, the sky cleared up sunday; in fact, it was sunny; still cold, though.


A $6 parking fee gets you into the lot. We reached around 10:00 am. We were the 3rd in line. It was like a different world in there. You enter the place through a small bridge. Cross the bridge and this beautiful pond appears to your right. There were many ducks and another one that I assume something between a duck and a goose. They were all quacking anyways. I even named one of it "Donald". It so reminded me of Walt Disney.


A little further, there was a model of the train's wagon where obviously everyone stops to take pictures, of course. A beautiful yellow and green colour.
The model wagonsThe model wagonsThe model wagons

Roaring camp railroad


Continuing further, there were models of yesterday's salon, school etc. Trimmed landscape made it all look so real. Picnic tables were all so inviting! Not before our train ride, though!
A couple buildings ahead was the General Store where we had to purchase tickets. The place was pretty neat. There were so many kids, you won't believe.


The ticket office as such was closed. Rather, had a board that said " Counter closed. Ticketmaster gone fishing!" Goofy, huh!

We soon heard the train even before we saw it. All that steam & the whistle, of course. We were one among the kids. Lots of childhood memories. One engine pulls 3 open wagons and one closed one. We headed for the middle open one. The train took off with a whistle that echoed all over the place. The train moved and there was a "oh! wow!" from all fellow passengers.


The conductor and drivers wore attires that fit their job. Was it a ride on a Time Machine to the last century?


The redwoods trees have never seemed closer, some places, just scraping the edge of the train. The ride was mesmerizing, but
The model wagonThe model wagonThe model wagon

It doesn't show, but it was cold!
I could not help think of all that pollution getting into the redwoods. The driver was explaining about the steam engine to all inquisitive passengers before the train took off from the station.


There was a 10 minute stop at Bear Mountain station. The best part: all passengers got a chance to get into the engine and pose for some bragging shots. Ganesh got a chance to climb up to reinstate his bragging rights. In 10 minutes, the train whistled to call back all the passengers aboard. A Bear Mountain station with the train, some 50 people, 2 drivers, 1 conductor, at the middle of nowhere... The conductor even warned us to get back, lest, we become a good meal for a mountain lion. Too happy to get back on the train!


The return journey was fast as it was mostly downhill. The Conductor continued to enlighten about the redwood forest, the train's history, an old forest fire, how the redwoods still lived.,etc. Quite a lot of information, there!


Well! what started has to end. So, after the final steam cleaning(3 heavy steam releases) we were where we started, only now, we had people
That's the train!That's the train!That's the train!

Historic train station, Roaring Camp
waving us welcoming home 😊
As planned earlier, picnic at the tables, more importantly, in the sun, made our day.


We still had half a day to go. I initially wanted to take him to the beach, but remembered the right thing just in time. I had heard of this "Giant Bamboo Garden" in Aptos (a couple miles from Santa Cruz) from the recent edition of the Via magazine. This was the largest bamboo nursery in the whole of North America. With all this big talk, we went to check it out. It was probably 5 miles from where we were, but it was pretty amazing! Surprising, so many people knew about it! We took the small trail within the nursery and found all these beautiful bamboo. We also learnt that bamboos grow up to 4 ft in a day! Maximum photosynthesis and a 100x 100 bamboo patch would give construction materials that up to a billion people could live in. Is that right? hmm.


Well! so long a day! Time to get home to the left over of "The Lake House". 😊
So, off we went!


Alcatraz is definitely on my priority list,
My handsome husband!My handsome husband!My handsome husband!

My first try at portrait shots!
but when, how, I don't know.
Let us see.


-travelbuffs

FYI

Where is Santa Cruz?

Roaring camp Railroad
Giant Bamboo Garden









Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

In the redwoods!In the redwoods!
In the redwoods!

Reminds me of our old steam engine trains back in India!
you can't seeyou can't see
you can't see

but we were having a ball in there!
I've seen you many times in the A/C coach in IndiaI've seen you many times in the A/C coach in India
I've seen you many times in the A/C coach in India

Nice to see you in this open train among the redwoods
Now we are settledNow we are settled
Now we are settled

With so many kids, the train, its whistle, the conductor's enlightening talk, we did not know where to concentrate!
half way thruhalf way thru
half way thru

Bear Mountain Station
Back to the stationBack to the station
Back to the station

Such a treat!
Busy at work!Busy at work!
Busy at work!

One of the 2 drivers
he posed for mehe posed for me
he posed for me

He was more than happy to take a minute off from his work to pose for me!
All gone !!!All gone !!!
All gone !!!

The train and with it, the people!
The General Store!The General Store!
The General Store!

Cannot imagine this place in summer...should be buzzing with people.
Ganesh at the gongGanesh at the gong
Ganesh at the gong

Giant Bamboo garden! Why would they have this?
going green!going green!
going green!

Giant Bamboo garden! Well.. its actually a nursery.
chinesy look!chinesy look!
chinesy look!

A cute little pond in the garden
c'mon!c'mon!
c'mon!

It was our anniversary eve, after all!


13th November 2006

yeah.. I dont see the ball in the train top pic. Where exactly is it, and how big? ;-) Nice blog!
13th November 2006

awesome
So managed to get a macro lens finally huh? nice:) how is the tamron? good job with the journal entry...
13th November 2006

Alcatraz
Alcaraz is not all what it is made out to be. So even if you go, do not have very high expectations.
14th November 2006

Budding photographer emerging!
Interesting entry and some lovely pictures. Happy anniversary to you and Ganesh!
16th November 2006

coool
nice pics akka...especially the macros...they're really gud! and my belated wedding anniversary wishes...

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.02s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb