Piedras Blancas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Simeon
March 12th 2009
Published: March 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


March 9, 2009

What fun to take our time drinking coffee and eating breakfast with good friends! We finally decided to get outside to take advantage of the CALM sunny morning. We climbed the lighthouse, and then ventured down to the ridge overlooking the elephant seals' hangout. And there we sat with the sun on our backs for at least an hour, our eyes glued to the scene below us. There were six giant papas weighing around 4000 pounds each, a few feminine-faced cows, and dozens of good-sized pups that had been weaned and left by their mothers. I was constantly switching between binoculars and camera, and finally gave up both to relax and simply bask in the privilege of being there.

We fixed lunch for Jim and ourselves. Then three of us read books, watched the ocean, and rested, but restless Joe took his spotting scope out to watch the sea otters and birds.

We drove into Cambria and Gloria and I stayed in town to shop and the guys went back to San Simeon State Park to explore tide pools in the caves and hike the trail into the forest. We met up again for drinks and dinner at the Grill in Cambria. It was another great day with our good friends.



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Elephant SealsElephant Seals
Elephant Seals

These big guys are covered with scars from all their fighting.
Joe in Tide Pool CavesJoe in Tide Pool Caves
Joe in Tide Pool Caves

San Simeon State Park


12th March 2009

Wow- what is in the tide pools? Too bad we missed this place-
15th March 2009

Tide Pools
The tide pools are full of sea stars, sea urchins, little fish, several different kinds of anemones. Beautiful plants, too.

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb