The Countdown


Advertisement
Published: January 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

SLO to NYC


Its probably best to start with the night before...

I am eager to leave for New York tomorrow, but the anxiety that I remember before moving to London is missing this time. I’m confident that everything is going to be great. Lindsey, however, I think, is pretty nervous. Her first time leaving SLO is obviously a big deal, especially since we are going to be away from the Fam.

Both Lindsey’s family and mine were at the airport to see us off. (Rather than attaching the pictures on this message, here is a link to them--they are too small to post and, as you can see from this one, are blurry). The site is SLOpics It was sad, but not terribly, because we will be back fairly soon and I think everyone understands that. So, after some hugs and waves, we were off.

The plane ride was, as always, absolutely terrifying, as the pilot of the first flight was clearly attempting to land while blindfolded. But, after arriving safe at JFK, we managed to make our way past the sleazebags offering dodgy transportation and caught a cab to the city.

Our apartment is in a mediocre area of town, I think, but seemingly safe. We are on the Upper West Side, on Amsterdam Ave., adjacent to a Mexican/Italian restaurant (they do both) and a stoop that people seem to hang out on all day. Across the street is a school, with a large fenced soccer field on long fake grass (pretty cool, actually), and it appears to be used frequently. The apartment itself is fantastic. Its VERY small—a studio—but is set up with about 10 different dimming lights, all the pots/pans one could need, surround sound with an iPod input, a FULL 300 disk changer with 7 different modes of music ranging from meditation to soul, a large metal Buddha, a large closet, and a range of other niceties (including a very tasteful green and white decorating theme running throughout). We are very happy with it, though, it would be nice if it was a bit lower in the city.

It takes about 30 minutes from our door to the outside of the subway downtown. The subway here is a bit more complicated than in London, but we are getting a handle on it. We haven’t attempted the busses yet, but they seem nearly impossible at a glance; the routes and stops aren’t well posted at all.

Well, I suppose that’s all there really is to say right now. The write up on Friday/Saturday night will be a bit more exciting.


Advertisement



22nd January 2006

I'm so excited for you! I cant wait to hear all about your school and everything else exciting in the city. Get Skype so we can talk for free!

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb