San Fran Folly


Advertisement
Published: May 22nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

Oops, here's an express entry..... San Fran, lots of homeless people in the downtown area but an otherwise beautiful city on the bay. Museum of Modern Art was utterly amazing... did the obligatory ride on the up and down tram car which takes you to the extremely touristy tacky Fisherman's Wharf.

Had only one more day there and decided to ignore the torrential rain and took mysel;f off to the Golden Gate Bridge PK, which happens to be about 5 miles from the Golden Gate Bridge. Oh der. Soaked through but perservered through the park, which surprisingly enough .... is a park!! Full of beautiful trails and lake areas, playgrounds, the botanic gardens and a few other nice features. Managed to dry out around 2pm while hiking through the Presidio National Park. Fantastic views across the bay as you hike around to the Bridge and interesting remains of its military history and the Spanish base.

The bridge is big, the bridge is orange. The bridge is full of toursits and cyclists and is so windy you have to push against it... Luckily there was a torrential rain storm while I was halfway across it, so ended up soaked again but kept on going. People were surfing and windsurfing around the base of the pylons and tourists ships from San Fran were bounding about on the waves. Great views of Alcatraz and the hill behind San Fran.

Kept hiking alond and headed back along the bay to Chrissy Field where they did lots of testing of aircraft in the mid 1900s, then folloowed about and finally made it home around 1800 with my little leggies dropping off!!! Excellet day biut a bit tiring. San Fran is lovely and you could probably live there quite easily but further out of town... and up and away to Chicago!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb