Next 4 days in San Fran...


Advertisement
Published: April 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Having done our bit for cultural diversity by staying in the Mission district, now head to trendy Diva Hotel , just off Union Square (2mins) in the theatre district. The theatre literally opposite our hotel had a spoof comedy in it's first week, Fame Becomes Me with Martin Short , so we got tickets for that - was very funny. Had pre theatre martinis at the Daily Grill bar just a few doors down - always helps just in case the comedy is weak!

Still feeling a bit on the high brow side, visited the de Young museum of fine arts in Golden Gate Park and had jasmine tea in the Japanese tea garden next door.

Took a trip across the bay to The Rock, Alcatraz , and took the audio tour around. The story and events on the tour are told by the ex prison officers and inmates, which is pretty eery. Al Capone and The Bird man spent time here. We even got a few seconds to experience solitary confinment - which was a pitch black tiny cell, used as a punishment for days on end. Nice.

Just to cheer ourselves up, took a day's tour in the Napa and Sonoma valleys. The weather has really improved towards the end of the week and it was in the 80s the day we went on this tour, so it was lovely sitting outside the vineyards, glass of wine in hand. Went to 4 wineries and had lunch in Sonoma square. The location was beautiful but the wine explanations were really weak and they were more interested in selling than taking you through the wines. Not a patch on Australian wine experiences!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb