Day 3 - San Francisco


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Francisco
September 17th 2008
Published: September 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Went on the Mr Toad's Postcards of San Francisco 3 hr tour today in a 1924 Yosemite Vintage Bus. Our tour guide / drive Kathy was awesome. Such a character and full of stories and anacdotes. She seems to have a million friends in San Francisco including Robin Williams (if you believe everything she says).

First stop was Chinatown and the Fortune Cookie Factory with a detour to the shop next door to sample some Dim Sums. Yummmmmm. Next we drove around Nob Hill and learnt all about the SF earthquake and subsequent fire which destroyed all the mansions but one on the top of the hill (it was made of stone). She drove us all around the Italian area, Haight Ashbury, Pacific Heights ($64million houses), past Levi Straus headquarters and out to the Fort below the Golden Gate Bridge. All in all it was a great overview of this wonderful city and even the kids enjoyed it - always a bonus...

In the afternoon we wandered around Fishermans Wharf for while, had a bread bowl of clam chowder from Boudins (yum) and went out on Pier 39 to watch the smelly sea lions - literally thousands of them all lazing about in what was a marina berth. Had to take a detour to the Gheradelli Chocolate factory (of course!), which is only a shop selling their chocolate now = ahhhh heaven!

Waited nearly and hour for the cable car back to the apartment where we had tea at home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb