Day 5 - San Francisco


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Francisco
September 19th 2008
Published: September 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Another beautiful day. Perfect for our day biking over the Golden Gate Bridge! Caught the cable car down to Fishermans Wharf and got off at Lombard Street. Thought we'd better take the opportunity to walk up and then back down this famous crooked street. Steve and I thought it was really worthwhile and enjoyed it, but the girls just didn't "get" it?

Found the bike shop (Bike and Roll) and organised our sappy looking wheels and a map for the day. There were heaps and heaps of other people doing the same thing and the city has a fabulous bike / walking path all the way along the waterfront to the bridge. The only challenge was avoiding other bikers/walkers and the two hills along the way. The bridge was awesome!!! HUGE!!!! I didn't stop to look much (for obvious reasons) but Steve took his time and was really impressed. Apparently it takes 25 years to paint it end to end... This was an excellent way to cross the bridge.

Ended up in a little village called Sausalito. Very wealthy by the look of it, but very cute. We had a look around all the shops which were mainly arty farty and picked up a couple of souveniers. There was a Christmas shop there (got the 2008 decorations sorted), and a shop full of frogs - where's Bev???

Caught the ferry back with the bikes and 100's of others to San Francisco and stayed in Fishermans Wharf for an early dinner at the Rainforest Cafe. This would have to be the coolest restaurant we have ever been in! It was all decked out like a rainforest complete with thunder and lightening storms, waterfalls, massive fish tanks and moving jungle animals. The food wasn' too bad, but at $100 for mains only, we couldn't eat here every day. Kids had a ball in the restaurant shop afterwards (like you do!).

An awesome day to end our stay in San Francisco***


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0219s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb