Day 8 - San Fog-cisco


Advertisement
Published: August 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sonoma to San Fogcisco
This morning we had breakfast at the inn and then went to a couple more wineries. We went back to Ravenwood and had some very tasty wines. We bought a couple bottles- a red and a white, and then went to Gundlach Bundschu (pronounced Gun Lock Bun Shoe). It is the oldest family-owned vineyard in California, and all their wines are made from estate-grown grapes. It is run by sixth generation Gundlachs, and the vineyard is celebrating its 150th anniversary this year. The wines here were also tasty, but since Massachusetts doesn’t allow alcohol shipments from other states, and we already had a couple of bottles from Ravenwood, we didn’t buy any more. Art, we seriously considered having the wine shipped to your house in New Hampshire… maybe next time.

One of the wine people at Ravenwood had lived in Massachusetts for 18 years. He actually fixed up a little park in Harvard Square, and it was memorialized for his mother, so we’ll have to check that out when we get back. He also recommended a place for lunch, so we went there (Matt we walked by the Cheese Factory but didn’t go in) and then
Gun-Lock-Bun-ShoeGun-Lock-Bun-ShoeGun-Lock-Bun-Shoe

Gunlach bundchu
hit the road for San Francisco.

We drove through Sausalito and San Francisco and went to Jamie’s brother’s place in San Bruno. His apartment is very close to the Youtube building, which was cool to see. We hopped into Bob’s car and he took us on a mini-tour of San Francisco. We started out by the water and walked around some ruins of an old bathhouse, and then explored a cave. We had dinner at the Cliffhouse, which has gone under many renovations throughout the years. It began as a high class establishment back when the only way to get to it was by horse and buggy, and only the upper class could actually afford to go there. After transportation became more reasonably priced in the late 1800s, more “common” people visited the Cliffhouse, and it lost it’s place as a status symbol for the rich. Either way, dinner was quite yummy, and the views of the ocean were even better. After dinner we drove around town for awhile and ended up at Buena Vista, where we got excellent Irish Coffee. We have the recipe and the bartender gave us some tips, so we will hopefully perfect it when we get home.
Afterwards, we walked around the Wharf area. We went to the end of a pier to see all the sea lions that sleep on docks there every night. That was pretty wild- two were playing King of the Dock and kept pushing each other off. I could have watched for a long time but Jamie is grossed out by sea lions, so now we are back at Bob’s for the night, and will rest up for a full day in San Francisco.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Bob wants us to go in a caveBob wants us to go in a cave
Bob wants us to go in a cave

Melissa is sticking out her tongue.


27th August 2008

Irish Coffee...
Must have that recipe!

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb