"If your going to San Francisco......"


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Francisco
January 31st 2007
Published: January 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

....You know how the rest of it goes. However that is the only line of the song I actually know so it gets a bit boring singing just the one line over and over.

So we're on our last day of San Fran today and we're just killing time at the moment in our hostel before we get our Greyhound to San Diego later tonight.

Well we've been here for four days and Gary has already said he wants to live here. I'm counting the times he says that and already I think we'll be living all over the place as he seems to want to live everywhere we've been so far.

Once we had arrived at our hostel after our wonderful Greyhound journey we decided to take advantage of the free waffle breakfast which is provided daily and then went back to bed as trying to sleep on a bus when the driver seems to think he's driving an F1 car isn't that easy or in any way relaxing. In the afternoon we went for a walk round Union Square just so that we didn't feel we had wasted the day, then in the evening we went for a curry and can you belive I had my first Vindaloo! well having said that this Vindaloo wasn't anywhere near as hot as it should be, however it might have been the reason why I was rather ill that night.

Day two and we hopped onto a cable car and headed for Fisherman's Wharf which is a harbour down towards the Golden Gate bridge. We got to see the local Sea Lions who spend their days sunbathing on the floats next to Pier 39. They were so cute and so loud when they got going but Gary got some really great pics of them all cuddling up together. After that Gary headed for the street vendors selling bread bowl clam chowder, yes I said bread bowl Clam chowder and that's exactly what it is, the bowl is actually a loaf of bread hollowed out and filled with chowder so that once you've finished the chowder you can eat your bowl, quite a cool idea but a bit of a carb overload if you manage to eat the whole bowl.

Day three we did a LOT!! of walking and lots of it was up big San Franciscan hills which are hard work. On our walk we went through China Town, North Beach (another Little Italy), saw Lombard street (the most crooked street in the world) which nearly killed me with the walk up to it. Then we made it up another hill to see the Coit Tower from which you got great views of the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz.

On day four we continued with the fitness kick and hired bikes to cycle to the Golden Gate Bridge from Fisherman's Wharf, which started with a HUGE hill to climb. We chickened out of cycling across the bridge as I wasn't too keen on being that high up whilst on a bike plus Gary got the pictures he wanted and didn't really see the need to cycle across and then have to come all the way back again. The bike ride clocked up around 8 miles of cycling which I can say is not a usual occurance for either of us so by the end of it we were feeling the burn a little bit and Gary did mention something about his seat being a tad uncomfortable. However he didn't seem to be walking that differently afterwards.

So it's day five now and we are planning on doing a bit of last minute sight seeing and are going to do the ferry trip across to Alcatraz this afternoon which Gary has been looking forward to a lot, i'm not really that sure why to be honest but maybe it's a guy thing.

Well thats about all there is left to say about San Fran at the moment but we'll fill you in on Alcatraz and anything we've missed out in the next installment of Gary and Verity around the world.

Catch you all later

V & G
x x

ps. We'll have more photos up as soon as we find a computer we can plug both of our Cameras into.

Update: We've just come back from Alcatraz which was very interesting. Gary took LOTS of photos so hopefully we will be able to add them soon.

Until then.......


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Looking back to San Fran from Pier 39Looking back to San Fran from Pier 39
Looking back to San Fran from Pier 39

If you look carefully you can see the Sea Lions on the right.
The before picture! The before picture!
The before picture!

Notice the big smiles! we decided not to show the after pic!
Behind Bars at AlcatrazBehind Bars at Alcatraz
Behind Bars at Alcatraz

I should have left her there!!!


Tot: 0.224s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb