The "New" San Francisco


Advertisement
Published: September 23rd 2023
Edit Blog Post

I wrote last week about the city, San Francisco, that many of us fell in love with during the 60s. Today, everything is much different, challenging, dangerous, filthy, politically divided, and in many areas, a quagmire. First some facts (from A Piece of Travel) to back me up: The rising cost of living and lack of new housing developments has led to an increase in the number of unhoused people on San Francisco’s streets. Rampant drug use among the unhoused population is commonly blamed for the uptick in city-wide property damage and petty theft.
As of 2022, San Francisco has the third-highest rate of homelessness in the nation, after Oakland and Los Angeles. According to the San Francisco Chronicle, the city has roughly 887 unhoused people per 100,000 residents, a slightly encouraging 3%!d(MISSING)rop from 2019.

Beautiful beaches, the Hollywood hills, and a laid-back lifestyle are just a few of the reasons people pack up and move to sunny California. But according to these unhappy residents, the reality doesn’t quite measure up to the fantasy.

Recently, several large companies have moved out or abandoned their properties, including Nordstrom, two of the city's largest hotels, and a big shopping center on Market Street. Yet, IKEA just moved into mid-Market.
But the city I grew to love and enjoy as a high school kid is no longer the same. I guess nothing stays the same, maybe just Tokyo, NYC, and Paris?
I cannot believe this is the result of high home prices. Jobs are plentiful. Could it be drug and alcohol related? Could it be part of the mental health crisis? Is homelessness the cause or the result?
I don't know about you, but I have rarely in my professional career been offered more work, in desirable locations, at premium wages. I turn down more work than I receive for offers of travel, vacation packages and time shares!! This raises the question of why the young people do not want to work. I assume they are waiting for President Biden to forgive their student loans?


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0262s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb