San francisco day 2


Advertisement
Published: August 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Got up pronto so i had time for two waffles! Got the bus to Pier 33 for our trip to Alcatraz. Was very cool today and we were all glad we packed jumpers and fleeces, especially sitting on the top deck of the boat. Alcatraz was fascinating, the audio tour was really good and helped set the scene of what it was like to live there. Most famous inmates were Al capone and ...forgotton already! When back on the Wharf we got some of the famous clam chowder or rather i did, the boys had nachos with cheese and chilli and Andy had chilli in a sour bread bowl. The chowder was delicious, tasted like my fish pie. We then decided to hire bikes and 'bike the bridge'. Started off well and got some great shots of the bridge but missing the top because of the low cloud. Cycling over the bridges was hard because it was so windy and loads of cyclists whizzing about. Andy knocked into me trying to get out of someones way and i fell into the barriers and caught my thumb on the railing. It was agony, lots of people stopped to offer help and in the end two bridge police cars stopped and a really nice officer, who reminded me of Richard Gear in Officer and a Gentleman, wanted to take my details...Steve said they had full on machine guns (M16's) in their cars. I assured them i didn't need an ambulance and i would be OK but then the cycling bridge control officer turned up and bandaged my hand with an ice pack. Unfortunately it was too painful to continue cycling so we had to walk back. It was a horrible journey back as it was so cold and the wind was so strong and i was so fed up we hadn't got to Salsolito. Managed to cycle a bit using one hand, by the time we got back to the hotel my fist was quite swollen but everything seemed to work ok. Stopped for a Subway before heading into the hotel.

Advertisement



11th August 2010

Sorry to hear about your accident!
So sorry to hear about your thumb Chris and equally sorry that you didn't make Sausilto - just such a pretty place. Well worth the bike ride over. We did this bike ride and I agree how heavy going it is over the bridge and how crowded. Did you stop at the 'Warming Hut' for refreshments?

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb