San Diego


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Diego
July 13th 2007
Published: July 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Neil wasn´t bothered about going to San Diego at all, but I really wanted to include somehere new on our USA trip, and had prepaid for our hotel for 2 nights, so he wasn´t able to try to persuade me out of it. However, from the moment we got on the train, San Diego was one of the highlights of our trip so far. The train itself is called the Pacific Surfliner, and once you are out the LA suburbs, it travels right along the coast, often right on the beaches, giving us 2 hours of amazing scenery.

Once we arrived in San Diego, our hotel, an internet bargain, was one of the nicest I have ever stayed in, 4 star, with an amazing rooftop pool and matching animal print bathrobes, and was located in the Gaslamp District - which seems to be the tourist hub of the city, loads of restaurants, bars, and more Irish pubs than I have ever seen outside of Ireland. So between that and and a great day at the world famous San Diego (loads of pictures to follow - baby pandas!) we decided to extend this leg of our trip as well, and booked ourselves one extra night. Which was just as well really, as on the morning we should have been returning to LA, we discovered my passport was missing, and between double and triple checking all of our luggage and reporting it to the police, we would have never made our return train.

As the missing passport meant that we didn´t get to do the extra San Diego sightseeing that we´d planned to do with our 3rd day, we headed out a bit further than the Gaslamp that last night, and ended up in an amazing area called Hillcrest (again lots of great shops, cafes, restaurants and bars, but not so touristy) and in a ridiculously cool club that had fashion shoots going on and a runway show that took place about midnight. With about 40-50 models hanging about the place, it just wasn´t the night for me to go out in jeans and flip flops. Needless to say, Neil had a ball and has declared it the best night of the trip so far!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 15; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0717s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb