Cooling Off at the Coast


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Pebble Beach
September 9th 2022
Published: September 9th 2022
Edit Blog Post

We are tired of the hot weather! This weekend will range around 110 or higher in the great Valley. I think we need to drive over to the Monterey Peninsula and cool off!! I am sure Lexi would welcome her walks in cooler weather as well. But first, on the way, I think we need to stop at the factory outlets in Gilroy for a little retail therapy. Then after lunch, perhaps In N Out Burger, we will finish the drive to Monterey. Hopefully, we can visit a few dear friends during our visit. Also, I want to take Lexi to the beach, maybe drive 17 Mile Drive, and have some seafood pasta at Abalonetti on the Monterey wharf. For a real change of pace, I think I will hit one of the wine tasting rooms in Monterey. I tried Caraccioli (tasting room) in downtown Carmel. In fact, it was so good, I went two days in a row!!! Their brut rose' is very good, I bought one, though a bit pricey. More affordable is their Rose' of Pinot Noir at only $30 a bottle. The highlight for me is taking Lexi for a walk on Carmel Beach, running along the shore, while gazing up at the Pebble Beach Golf Links. She loves the beach and does not mind the sand in her little paws. She also enjoys the beaches elsewhere, though the sea lions were barking aplenty at the Monterey Wharf. One of our dear friends down here is Big John, over at the Inn at Spanish Bay. We have know him for over 25 years, when he was still a waiter at Abalonetti. He has been the head bellman at Spanish Bay for over three decades now. He told an interesting story about us at the President of Pebble Beach's retirement dinner. Upon leaving our little cocktail party during a stay at the Lodge at Pebble some years ago, he saw the light was on in the President's office. He would see the "boss man" arrive at 6am every morning as well. He figured if the President was willing to work that hard, so would he and his staff!! A few other places down here catch my attention. Thinker Toys is a great toy and hobby shop in downtown Carmel. We also like Hedi's Shoes on Ocean Avenue. We buy our Hoka 1's there. And our Turkish lamp store is also on Ocean Avenue. But best of all, I found some Turkish Delight at a store on Cannery Row. the owner says it is 100% imported from Istanbul, since he cannot buy the right ingredient here. The weather has been great, in the 60s and 70s mostly, while back home hit record heat in the 110+ range. I highly recommend this form of therapy, both for physical and mental health. Sheri even bought a jacket!! And maybe best of all, we found a pretty good Chinese restaurant in Monterey, with excellent chow fun, and Peking spare ribs!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb