Home, for now


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Napa
August 22nd 2019
Published: August 23rd 2019
Edit Blog Post

This morning started VERY early for us - a 6am alarm. UGH!

We typically have a very hard time sleeping on a "travel day" - anxious about missing the alarm. Anxious about maneuvering the airport. Anxious about missing the plane. NOT anxious about flying. We both tossed and turned all night.

Waking to an alarm is just gross. There. I said it, and I meant it! Up showered and dressed. We packed the night before and set out our travel clothes. Pack the dopp kit,zip the suitcase and call for a bellman to gather up the luggage. WE. DON'T. WANT. TO. LEAVE. Really - we just don't want to leave The Pulitzer - absolutely LOVE this hotel.

Our driver is out front. I think I have socks older than he. He's got a great sense of humor, and gets us to Schiphol on time. Thoroughly enjoyed our drive, but there's NO WAY I can possibly spell his name. Can't even sound it out.

I just love KLM. We checked in, loaded up the luggage and were through security in a matter of minutes. Doesn't hurt that we're flying Business Class. Oh..the AMEX points come in handy!! We get to the Lounge, find a table (this place is packed) and get something in our tummies. The buffet is a little weak - but it will do. We sit we try not to think about leaving Europe and all that we have to deal with when we return to Napa. No.No talk of that. We relive some wonderful memories and eat.

Just before we decide to leave the lounge for our flight, Christopher does some wandering of his own. He goes upstairs (they have an upstairs?) and there's a FULL SERVICE RESTAURANT up there. WTF??? Really? Dang. Oh well.

Of course, our flight is at the complete opposite end of the terminal from the lounge. Naturally. We hike the five miles (maybe six?) to the gate. I might be exaggerating a bit here. Only a little. Business class can board now.

It's a 747 (really? KLM flies 747's?) we are upstairs. Second row (row 73) SO COMFY! We settle in for our 10 hour flight.

I slept on and off, Christopher slept for a bit. Neither of us truly SLEPT...just napped.

We arrived at SFO on time.

So. If you DON'T have Global ENTRY - WHY NOT? We got off the plane, stumbled our way to Passport Control and YIKES. The line snaked around and ended at the door from the terminal. The line HAD to be 2-3 hours long, and just creeping along at less than a snail's pace...is that even possible? What's going on??

We find the Global Entry line. NO ONE. Not a single person. We each find a terminal bing bang bong - DONE in less than a minute. Receipt in hand we go to the border guard hand him the passport and receipt and we're done. Less than 2 minutes to get through Immigration. GET Global Entry!!

Our driver was waiting for us and we were home in no time.

It is HOT. I mean HOT in Napa. 97 degrees. The house is hot, stuffy and we've been up since 6am Amsterdam time; it's 3pm here in Napa. Unpack. Have to change the sheets; iron the linen sheets - at least we'll be cool tonight. Turn the AC on FULL BLAST.

I do three loads of laundry, and have yet to do stuff from our luggage. Make the bed. Unpack some more.

Laundry can wait until tomorrow - we have the fan and air conditioner going full blast to cool the house off a bit. Best not to tax the electric grid, particularly in Napa.

We are wiped out but barely manage to make it to 9pm before giving in. We've been awake for over 24 hours. I'm calling it a day.

We're home and have a few weeks before we head off on yet another adventure in September. Stay tuned!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.326s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1604s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb