Napa Valley, the Tuscany of America


Advertisement
Published: September 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

As the famous British philosopher, Francis Bacon, once said, "Age appears to be best in 4 things: old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read." While Napa Valley may not be the oldest wine producing region in the world, it has rapidly ascended to the reputation of being the best. Gone are the days when you needed to jetset across the pond to Tuscany or Bourdeau for some quality vino, because a mere hour drive from nearby San Francisco lands you in the ripe soils of the Valley.

Modern day Napa may enjoy a heavy dose of tourists flocking to the area for some hard grape juice, but the region hadn't always relished in the limelight as it does today. Pioneer and settler, George Yount, is credited with planting the first grapes in town, and it wasn't until the mid-1800s that commercial production began in St.Helena with John Patchett. The first French-style winery, Inglebrook, was established in 1879 in Rutherford, followed by hundreds of others like Beringer, Beaulieu, and Schramsberg, all of which are originals that still exist today. Just as the fruit was ripe and juices were flowing, the outbreak of Phylloxera killed the region's vines, in conjunction with the Prohibition era in the 1920s and the Great Depression in the 30s rendered a crushing blow to the Valley's vitality. But this was simply a hangover, for after the 18th Amendment's repealed, local winemakers seized the opportunity to rebound by changing their approach; Beaulieu hired the man known as the father of modern winemaking in the Valley in 1938, Andre Tchelistcheff, who began aging wine in French oak barrels. Another legend, Robert Mondavi, later established the first major winery in the area since the end of Prohibition. It wasn't until the 1976 Paris Wine Tasting that Napa was catapulted into the international spotlight as a wine-producing powerhouse when their wines defeated some of the best from France and Italy. Today, the Valley's wines are often rated ahead of Tuscany's and was awarded the title of "The World's Best Wine and Food Destination" by Tripadvisor.

So if you're looking for an exotic vacation, this isn't the place for you, although the scorching sun will give you some nice tan lines. But drop the sunscreen and pack a refined palate because you'll need it at the countless wineries lining the various towns that make up the Valley, ranging from Downtown Napa in the south, followed by Yountville, St.Helena, Rutherford, and finally Calistoga at the northern tip. Here are the top 3 wineries for first-time visitors, although you can't go wrong with any.

#1: Castello Di Amorosa (4045 St. Helena Hwy, Calistoga, CA 94515): 9:30 am - 6 pm. Costs $20 for admission and winetasting, more if you're interested in a guided tour of the medieval castle. This offers the best views in the valley and located atop a hill. Perfect for the kids (one of the few places allowing children) and great for simply exploring the beautiful grounds. Wines are above average, but the experience of a castle with amazing views is unforgettable.

#2: Robert Mondavi Winery (7801 St.Helena Hwy, Napa, CA 94574): 10 am - 5 pm. Costs $30 for 90-minute tour and tasting of the legendary winery from the finest winemaker in town. While this is one of the bigger wineries that many deem as touristy, it's a must-visit for first-time visitors to learn about the roots of Napa.

#3: Beringer (2000 Main St, St. Helena, CA 94574): 10 am - 6 pm. Costs $25 for a 30-minute tour of the mansion and a 2-wine tasting. Reservations are recommended for this historic winery, one of the originals in the area. The Rhine House is a replica of the founders' original mansion in Germany, which is gorgeously lined by the "tunnel of trees" leading up to it. While they mass-produce the wines found in many grocery stores, the process is interesting to see, so don't skip the opportunity to do so.

After your tours of the wineries, enjoy some of the finest foods on Earth. After all, the world's best restaurant in 2003 and 2004 according to the bible and appropriately named food magazine, Restaurant, was a Napa institution called the French Laundry. If you're short on connections or shallow in the pockets that will get you pass the month-long waiting list, another amazing place that every visitor should try is Redd Wood (6755 Washington St, Yountville, CA 94599) by Richard Reddington. This hotspot is known for its wood-fired pizzas, but the selection is vast, so be adventurous and try something new. While the menus change occasionally, order the Akaushi ribeye (the best steak ever!) or the linguine with zuccinni squash and shrimp with a white wine clam sauce, although the latter was a special that may no longer be available. Regardless of what you order, you're sure to be impressed by the freshness and creativity of every dish, so take time to savor the flavor, pair it with an appropriate wine, and enjoy the moment as you dine in this quaint valley before heading home to your hectic every day life.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Prosciutto PizzaProsciutto Pizza
Prosciutto Pizza

Redd Wood Restaurant


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb