17-Mile Drive


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Monterey
February 5th 2011
Published: February 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

17-Mile Drive

At the Spanish Bay in Del Monte forest, the tuna tartar open sandwich was what some of us had for lunch. Slightly sweet crab meat spread on the top of freshly baked rustic sliced bread was followed by chopped lettuce and a few slices of bacon. Finally, the tuna tartar and micro greens topped the arrangement. Drips of extra virgin light green olive adorned the plate and added a distinct flavor to already delightful lunch. The combination of flavors woke up our palates and satisfied our hunger.

Through floor-to-ceiling windows of the dining room, green golf course, The Links, with its white sand bunkers filled the view. On the other side, in some distance, waves hitting rock formations with the backdrop of Monterey Bay crescent completed the mesmerizing panoramic view. From the Monterey Bay gate, the 17-Mile Drive road winds through the thick shadowy Del Monte forest. A few small, medium, and large beautiful mansions give the exclusive ambience to this place. After a few miles, the road leaves the forest and hugs the curvy coast line. The view opens up. Here, shaped-by-the-constant-ocean-wind leaning cypress trees highlight the rolling green landscape. On the opposite side, the foamy waves hit the rock formations and cliffs. From one vantage point, one can see a winding road switching back and forth through the picturesque landscape.

There are many vista points along this road. They are named for their respective features. Bird Rock features thousands of birds, seals, and sea lions on towering off shore rocks. The Lone Cypress is a trademark view of a cypress tree perched on a rock. Fanshell Overlook provides a vista to a white sand beach where seals molt seasonally. The Ghost Tree hosts bleached white Monterey Cypress trees looking dead as driftwoods. And the Restless Sea demonstrates the mighty power of crashing waves...@driving-vacation

More pictures...


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.296s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0507s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb