5th July. 2009. Travel to Mojave, California.


Advertisement
Published: July 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

5th July, 2009. Travel to Mojave, California 0035th July, 2009. Travel to Mojave, California 0035th July, 2009. Travel to Mojave, California 003

Just out of Bakersfield - note the barren hills - fruit growing in the foreground
5th July, 2009. Trip to Mojave, California

Up and away again, not many of those to go now, down through Tulare, Pixy, Delano, and Bakersfield where we got off HW99. onto HW202 then up the Tehachapi Mountains, through Tehachapi and onto Mojave. Mojave is in a huge desert basin and of course in the Mojave Desert.
Over the top of the Mountains and the first thing was how barren it was, only little stick trees and the Joshua Trees growing, the rest looks like it died years ago.
We stopped at the Sierra RV park which was pretty good, the wind blew up in the afternoon, apparently that is common up there.
Into Mojave for a drive, quite noticable was the lack of greenery and the amount of rubbish lying around, plus the number of Fast Food Joints represented in only a small town.
What stood out to me was the airfield - it had 50 - 100 large jets parked up, including Jumbo's and other large ones, most of the engines had covers over them. These Jets are surplus to use at present or retired, they park them up here for a number of reasons - out of the way and the area is dry with virtually no humidity so corrosion is minimal - good thinking ha!
Next door to the RV Park there was 7 1/2 acres for sale for $450,000 US, you have to be kidding, even the rocks turn into sand and blow away, the buildings you will see in the photo's are not included.
Another hot one, 100F + most of the day, but again we chose a park with a pool so it was great.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

5th July, 2009. Travel to Mojave, California 0075th July, 2009. Travel to Mojave, California 007
5th July, 2009. Travel to Mojave, California 007

Mojave Airport and some of the planes parked up
5th July, 2009. Travel to Mojave, California 0135th July, 2009. Travel to Mojave, California 013
5th July, 2009. Travel to Mojave, California 013

The for sale sign - they have to be kidding


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb