Way Out West 2021


Advertisement
Published: September 4th 2021
Edit Blog Post


Yosemite tunnel
Today our goal was to drive clear through Yosemite to get to Mammoth lakes on the east side. We loaded the car, stopped at Tunnel View for one last look, and head east across Yosemite. I wondered if many people actually visited the east side of the park. It seemed that most of the sites to visit and most of the traffic was located in and around Yosemite Valley or the several lodges in the center of the park.

I am so glad we took the drive clear through the park. The landscape is so different from the west side to the east. There were more fields and hillsides with rock much like the eastern panhandle of WV.

The drive was beautiful. At one point Karen and I cracked up. We noticed we were looking from side to side of the vehicle, trying to get pictures of everything. We look up front and Terry and Ed were like mannequins, eyes fixed forward, no excitement, just driving through the park.

There were several places we wanted to see in this part of the park but road construction, road closed ranger stations helped prevent that.

As we were just

Tunnel View
leaving the park we got word that California had closed all National Parks due to the fire hazard. We wondered how that would affect us at Death Valley and Mammoth. Later it was clarified that the closure was the National Forests which impacted the National parks in those forests.

It wasn’t a long drive to Mammoth so we got groceries, the guys got fishing advice and license, we checked in and drive around looking for a good fishing hole. We found a spot on a dirt road and they both had some success, but it was time to head back to our cabin and prepare dinner.

It seems the days just fly by and before long it’s bed time. Tomorrow we check out the area, fish, picnic, and prepare to move on to Death Valley.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Fire damage


Fire damage


Tenaya Lake


Tenaya Lake



A sign we got used to seeing


Closed just after we left


Another lake in east Yosemite


East Yosemite


East Yosemite


East Yosemite


East Yosemite


East Yosemite


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0343s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb