SMASHing time in Malibu Creek


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Malibu
May 15th 2017
Published: May 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

This morning we were ferried to the RV Bear depot to pick up our wheels. A great RV this time, with a slide out living area giving really good kitchen/living space while still managing to have a permanent double bed (a must have for me, can't be doing with all that making up and putting away malarkey). As usual, it is a 7 berth 30ft little number. As Mrs RV Bear was showing us around I was surprised by the volume of bedding and towels provided, until she explained that due to the size of the rig she had assumed more people were coming....

We had booked a state camp site at Malibu Creek, only a half hour drive, so we would have plenty of time to unpack, go shopping for food etc. Spencer's first experience of driving an RV involved rush hour in Brooklyn (still traumatised, I think), so I planned a gentle start this time. The site was in a beautiful spot, surrounded by mountains, with only three or four other people staying there.

It used to be a film set and scenes from the original Planet of the Apes movie and MASH were filmed there! We went on a hike in the afternoon to the remains of the MASH set, boring Spencer all the way with the antics of Hawkeye, Radar and Hotlips Houlihan (crystal clear memories from 40 years ago, which explains why I can never remember where I've left my glasses.... brain's full).

A marvellous ribeye on the BBQ accompanied by a glass of wine (and a Peroni) as we watched the sun go down. Perfect.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0653s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb