Day in Malibu


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Malibu
August 18th 2012
Published: August 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Woke up around 8 am. Ken was already up-had his first cup of coffee. He was working on the TV, trying to fix something. It's amazing to wake up and the first thing you see outside your window is the ocean. There are 3 kayakers out on the water. Another beautiful, sunny day. Ken makes a latte another coffee for himself. We had OJ and whole wheat blueberry waffles. He took a shower and heads up to the office. He wants to try to get a discount because of the sewer smell. 😊 He is gone for about 30 minutes. I know he must have met someone, talking about something.

When he returns, he has a bottle of wine and a receipt in his hand! He got $50 off our bill and they gave him a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon! He is someone you want with you when you are traveling! While he was in the office, a girl around 10 years old runs in yelling, "someone needs to help us, water is flowing out of our shower"! The office clerks tells her their maintenance man won't be around for another hour but she will send them over as soon as he arrives! Really? Ken says, I'll come up and help you. He went to their RV. It was a single mom and her daughter that had rented the RV and had no idea how to operate it. He started hooking things up, instructing them on things, how to operate it and the little girl was recording the whole thing so when her mom didn't no what to do, she could look at the recording to help her mom. As she was recording, she said "this is Ken helping us, unlike my Ken dolls that do nothing"! Anyway, he got them straightened out and felt good about it. He called Jason to ask him questions about the Apple TV thingy he got Ken for his birthday, I took a shower then we headed out for the day.

We wanted to get some lunch so we drove south on Pacific Coast Highway. We came to a shopping area with a Ralph's grocery, Starbucks, etc. We saw a caffe called 'Coogies Beach Cafe'. They had outdoor seating so we went in. Fortunately they had a table outside available. Ken ordered grilled chicken breast w/steamed broccoli and gluten free pasta. It had a wonderful sauce with roasted tomatoes and garlic...yum! I had a salad with grilled chicken, avocado, corn, onions, tortilla strips with a southwest dressing....very good too! While we were sitting there Howie Mandel walked by several times. After lunch we drove up Malibu Canyon Road (the drive is beautiful, the road being the chief pass though the mountains, and the major north/south route connecting the coast to the inland valley) en route to a WalMart...which we had to go pretty far out of Malibu to find a WalMart. Ken is working on our TV situation in the RV. He purchased a sound bar and a blue tooth DVD player. In the WalMart parking lot a women stopped him and asked if he could help her with her tire. I guess Ken just looks like the kind of guy that will help you. She had this old junky car and had a flat tire. She had purchased a can of 'Instant inflate"; pressurized stuff that you connect to your tire valve stem. She had successfully done that, but the can was stuck to the valve and she couldn't remove it. Ken said he could get the can off but didn't want to take responsibility if when he pulled it off, the tire deflated. He went to the truck to get a tool and as he was going back over to her car, she said she had successfully removed it. Good!

We stopped for gas, called Josh and talked to him. Miss him!

We arrived back at the camp and the wind was blowing so we didn't have the sewer smell. We sat out outside watching the ocean. We are so close we can hear the crash of the waves. We see a group of dolphins swimming north. I read some of my Coastal Living magazine; it seemed so appropriate. Ken et up the sound bar and the Apple device for the TV. We hope to watch a movie tonight. We called Uncle Don to give him an update on our adventure.

We decided to walk to Malibu Seafood tonight. There is a dirt path that goes from the RV park to Malibu Seafood. We discovered it yesterday. We gather our tablecloth and bottle of wine and venture out. The hill is very steep and I hold on to Ken's hand so I don't fall. We can see the parking lot of the restaurant as we descend and it is packed. The plan is Ken will try to get us a table on the upple deck and I will get in line to order. It takes about 15 minutes for me to get through the line. After I pay, I go to the upper deck, truly expecting Ken to be waiting for a table, but he has one, with tablecloth spread and wine open!! As I look around, I see people who have really gone all out. They have coolers with various drinks, fresh flower centerpieces and CANDLES!! I feel like they have 'one upped me'! Anyway we have a wonderful dinner, watching the waves, enjoying the ocean breeze. Ken got the mahi again, I ordered shrimp. We ate way too much...we should have split a meal.

Climbing back up the trail to the camp was actually easier. I took a shower and then we watched 'Shining Through' with Michael Douglas and Melanie Griffith. It's from 1992...a good one. Afterwards we went to bed.

Advertisement



20th August 2012

That little restaurant sounds like such a good find, and unique! Ken is always so helpful!

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0322s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb